New Member need help with 'colours'

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Re: New Member need help with 'colours'

Postby vidarino » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:49 am

cecbevwr wrote:
vidarino wrote:"...Here is a color map from a puzzle posted in another forum a few minutes ago .."

Hi Vidar, What forum was this?

Oh, another of the ones on this site. The actual thread is here.

vidarino wrote:Ergo,..."

If "Ergo" is jargon what does it mean? My guess would be "therefore". It isn't in my Acronym dictionary. At least learning jargon has taught me something - I can now spell "Acronym":)

Quite correct.:) It's latin, and means "therefore" or "consequently". Here is a dictionary entry.

vidarino wrote:"..A must be the true colour.."

Am I correct in concluding that the two a's in box8 can be excluded and if so then what is the significance of the 'x' in this box?

Since that color map shows that 'a' will lead to a conflict, you can actually eliminate *all* the 'a's from the whole grid, and therefore also fix the candidate in all the A-marked cells. (If 'a' is false, then 'A' is true.)

Vidar
vidarino

Re: New Member need help with 'colours'

Postby Cec » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:20 am

Thanks Vidar for your prompt explanations to my above queries. I'm still curious though as to what the "x" signifies in box8?
Cec
Cec

Postby TKiel » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 am

Cec,

I think it means that cell has a candidate for the filtered digit, but is not part of the colouring chain. In this example, it will end up being assigned with the digit being filtered as it will be the only cell left in box 8 with that value.

Tracy
TKiel

New Member need help with 'colours'

Postby Cec » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:42 am

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for your explanation which makes sense. I'll keep plugging away till I get this "colouring" technique.

Cec
Cec

Postby vidarino » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:16 am

Oops, sorry, I missed that part of the question. Tracy nailed it, though.:)
vidarino

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques