New Killer Sudoku Source?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

New Killer Sudoku Source?

Postby PaulIQ164 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I notice that the Killer sudoku today looks different (and nicer in my opinion - a little cleaner on the page), and that it's credired to "AIIA Corporation". Does this mean they're coming from a new source now? Are they still handmade or now CG? What do we think of them? I thought today's was pretty simple, but then it was only rated Moderate/10min.
PaulIQ164

Postby CathyW » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Yes, I thought it looked better - I think the dotted lines around the 'cages' are thinner, though it doesn't give you any more room for entering candidates. Not that many of those were required today - it was rather easy. Hope we get a tough or a deadly soon.
CathyW

Postby jf27 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:23 pm

It does look cleaner, I agree, but I wish the lines round each box were thicker, as in the regular su dokus. I usually scan the Killer in and then blow it up to 13x13 cm, to give more room for pencil marks, but then the box borders seem even fainter when printed out. Or do I just need a new print cartridge? And a "ten-minute killer" is a bit of an oxymoron. I think The Times made a mistake calling these puzzles "Killers". My partner refuses to do them, being put off by the name, although I tell her they're not any harder (often easier, with perseverance and reliable mental arithmetic) than the regulars. And a "fiendish" Killer would sound almost as odd as was the "deadly" Killer in the Times introductory article! What would a non-deadly killer be?
jf27

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:36 pm

Hope they are clearer. I printed yesterday's down from the web and misread the 16 in r2c5 as a 15. Spent 10 mins scratching my head wondering why they'd published a puzzle that was impossible to solve. I even started looking at whether they'd started to use their on/off rule about possible duplicates within the same cage before I got a magnifying glass out.
Enigma

Postby el_supremo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:08 pm

I can only get the puzzles online and I have had problems reading them, occasionally running into problems when I think a square total is 15 when it's actually 16 or vice-versa. I sent an email to them about it and got a reply about my message being forwarded to the appropriate department but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Pete
el_supremo

Postby Bigtone53 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:21 pm

I like the new format. I do the Killer on the train (after the Crossword, before the Fiendish) and what with the crush, movement and my aging eyes, I was getting things wrong by not noticing the complete shape of the box. Today's is much clearer.
Bigtone53

Postby Pi » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:24 pm

I am suprised that papocom didn't start making them, i do like the new look and it was quite nice having a moderate, due to it taking less time i was able to complete all three before i went to school thismorning
Pi

Postby Lardarse » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:52 pm

It looks nice, and it looks a nice puzzle as well. I haven't tried it yet, because I want ti time myself, but it looks easy, mostly 2's, with a few 3's
Lardarse

Postby afjt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:32 am

Personally, I prefer the original format. It is now much harder to see the lines between each box, as they are hardly any bolder than the lines between each cell within a box.
afjt

Postby jf27 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 am

Yes, I fully agree with afjt. The Killers from Djape look much nicer by comparison.
jf27

Postby afjt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:51 am

Back to the proper Killer layout today, with bolder lines between each box.
afjt

Return to Sudoku variants