My new Sudoku variant

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

My new Sudoku variant

Postby jsmith » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi everyone,
A few years ago I had an idea for a sudoku variant, but did nothing about it. It's based on an 8x8 board with split cells making an unusual 10x10 arrangement that you fill with the digits 0-9. Anyway, last year I coded it up [I'm a software engineer in my day job], put in on the web and did nothing about it.

It's available at http://sudo10.com and it would be great if someone could let me know what they think. In particular, I'd love honest feedback about things like:
  • Is it fun to play?
  • Is it original, or have you seen something similar before?
  • Is it too easy or too hard?
  • Can you think of any ways to improve it?

It's got a couple of difficulty levels, and you may find it more enjoyable if you switch to the hard difficulty.
jsmith

Re: My new Sudoku variant

Postby tarek » Fri May 03, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm not sure why nobody replied or commented to this yet (Probably due to the waning interest in sudoku nowadays!!)

This is a lovely idea & a lovely variant ... Well done

The triangles will make it difficult to type graphically or transport digitally for electronic solvers.

tarek
tarek

Postby jsmith » Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm glad you like it
jsmith

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 am

tarek wrote:I'm not sure why nobody replied or commented to this yet ....

Possibly because the website gives you nothing but a blank screen with the message "your bowser" [ sic ] "is not supported, please upgrade it". I'd like to look at it, but I can't.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby tarek » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

Smythe Dakota wrote:
tarek wrote:I'm not sure why nobody replied or commented to this yet ....

Possibly because the website gives you nothing but a blank screen with the message "your bowser" [ sic ] "is not supported, please upgrade it". I'd like to look at it, but I can't.

Yes Bill I can confirm what you're saying when using IE8. I must have viewed it originally on Safari!!!
tarek

Postby jsmith » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Good point, I should try and support that browser. Or Bowser!
jsmith

Postby jsmith » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

I've updated it to work in Internet Explorer 8. I hope that lets you try it, Bill. It still doesn't work in older browsers, so I have some more work to do.

James
jsmith

Postby Smythe Dakota » Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 pm

It works now, but I get a warning message that a script is slowing down my computer, and if I let it continue, it might bring my computer to a screeching halt. It also let me opt out of that script, which I did, and then the main puzzle came on.

Obviously that puzzle has at least 10-factorial solutions, if it has one. That doesn't necessarily make it easy, though. I'll try it later.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby jsmith » Fri May 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Bill, stopping the script stopped the board getting created properly. You should have seen a partially filled in board with one solution, not 10! The website isn't important anyway, what I really want to know is what you think of the variant. Below is an example board - I hope you can get a feel for it from that

jsmith

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat May 11, 2013 9:03 am

Yeh, that's more like it. I'm glad you're better at creating puzzles than you are at designing websites. :)

I'll give it a try soon.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby jsmith » Sun May 12, 2013 1:45 pm

In case you want to try another, here are two more

jsmith

Postby HATMAN » Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Motris has recently been posting similar puzzles, see:

http://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/

He has an extra constraint that the "fractions" must be proper i.e. the upper number must be less than the lower one.
HATMAN

Postby jsmith » Tue May 21, 2013 10:21 am

Wow, there are lots of interesting variants there. Were you referring to the tight-fit sudokus? http://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/category/sudoku/tight-fit-sudoku/.

For my boards, the restriction that a smaller number is above a larger 't make as much sense as the point of the diagonals is to split the board into separate regions much like the sudoku board.
jsmith

Postby HATMAN » Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 pm

That the one I meant and I see your point about the constraint.
HATMAN

Return to Sudoku variants