Mouse Input & Number Selection

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Mouse Input & Number Selection

Postby shakers » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:33 am

I use a laptop all of the time, and prefer the mouse input, however, having to select the numbers by clicking on them (the scroll wheel is, of course, not available on a trackpad) always feels a little tedious. Would it not be possible to have the numbers selected by pressing the relevant 1-9 key?

I know that this would only be appropriate on numerical puzzles up to 3x3, but I would guess that it how the majority of players will be using the program...
shakers

Postby Pappocom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:41 pm

I guess you mean two-handed operation, then? One hand selecting the number to enter, by using the keys, and the other hand manipulating the laptop pointing device (whatever it may be - mouse, touchpad or pointing stick) and clicking where the selected number is needed. Is that the idea?

That's doable. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby shakers » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Probably two handed operation, yes. Although on a laptop, the proximity of the pointing device and keys are usually closer than a separate mouse and keyboard.

The selection of numbers would, of course, still be possible with the mouse, I would just envisage the option of keyboard selection giving more flexibility to the user.
shakers

Postby RFB » Wed May 04, 2005 3:31 pm

shakers wrote:Probably two handed operation, yes. Although on a laptop, the proximity of the pointing device and keys are usually closer than a separate mouse and keyboard.

The selection of numbers would, of course, still be possible with the mouse, I would just envisage the option of keyboard selection giving more flexibility to the user.

I would like the option as well.

When dubbing puzzles you currrently have to use the number bar since there aren't any existing squares to select a number from!
RFB

Postby RFB » Thu May 05, 2005 8:30 pm

When using the mouse input method you can't use the keyboard and whilst using the keyboard method the mouse pointer disapears.
I think it would be helpful to combine the two input methods.
With spread sheet programs you can use either the mouse or keys to move between cells.

I think you would need a new user option (to replace the current mouse/key input option).
The default option would be if you single click in a square it would move the cursor to the square and insert the currently selected number just like today, the alternative option would be to just move the cursor to the square ready for keyboard input, the currently selected number could also be input/removed by double clicking.

Bob
RFB

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 3:10 am

A possible alternative might be to allow right-click within a cell to bring up a grid of the 9 numbers.

There are 2 ways to use this:

* Pencil marks - right click top of cell and click a number to add or remove from the list of possibilities
* Attempted solution - right-click middle of cell and click a number to select for that cell.

Postby Guest » Mon May 30, 2005 11:55 am

I too would very much like to have the ability to select a number by pressing a button on the numpad/keyboard.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:23 pm

While we're on the subject, I would love an option to allow cursor keys to move the currently selected cell. Perhaps a scheme could be:

cursor keys to move currently selected cell
number keys to write in a bug number
shift-number keys to write in pencilmark numbers
ctrl-number keys to remove pencilmark numbers

Thanks for considering it. Love the program!

Tom

Postby Pappocom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:33 pm

Guest wrote:I would love an option to allow cursor keys to move the currently selected cell

You can get into Keyboard mode by -
1. Pressing F4 to bring up the Game Options dialog; and
2. On the front tab, checking "Keys" instead of "Mouse".

The Help files will tell you how to use Keyboard input.

Is that the kind of thing you were asking/hoping for?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:52 pm

Pappocom wrote:I guess you mean two-handed operation, then? One hand selecting the number to enter, by using the keys, and the other hand manipulating the laptop pointing device (whatever it may be - mouse, touchpad or pointing stick) and clicking where the selected number is needed. Is that the idea?

That's doable. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Wayne

I would like to second this. I find having to, er, find another instance of the number (or having to mouse up to the top bar) somewhat frustrating. A great program nonetheless, mind you.

Postby madmax » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:07 pm

I too would like to second the option to select a number/letter by simply typing it on the keyboard, even whilst using the mouse input method...

Later,
Mad
madmax

Return to Forum questions and feedback