Misplaced Sudoku Puzzle Solver

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Postby Cec » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:43 am

I have misplaced a particular sudoku puzzle solver which I found to be very user-friendly when displaying the pencilmark grid after keying in the initial puzzle (clues). From memory, the solver was the brainchild of a person called Stuartn. If someone knows the link for accessing this solver I would be most grateful.

Cec
Cec

Postby Ruud » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:08 am

I found a post by Stuartn with a link to an Excel solver.

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=1019

Unfortunately, the target site is no longer active.:(

Ruud
Ruud

Postby Cec » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks for your rapid response Ruud. The link says "temporarily closed" so I'll try again but I don't hold out much hope.

Cec
Cec

Postby Cec » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:04 am

Still racking my brains trying to find the link to this puzzle solver. I previously mentioned stuartn but now think it might have been designed by andrew stuart and the letters "UK" included in the link. I have now learnt from a google search that andrew stuart has designed a far more advanced solver than the previous one I'm more interested in.

From memory it was a very user-friendly aid to help solving puzzles up to a medium difficulty rating though any puzzle could be typed and printed out on a large grid which included pencilmarks which offered ample space compared to the small grids published in newspapers which become like dogs food from trying to write the pencilmarks in and erase same when solving proceeds.

When stuck, the solver could progressively tick a series of boxes which then disclosed solved cells from identifying hidden or naked singles, box line reductions, etc.

My reason for persuing this puzzle aid is to help friends who have expressed interest to me in sudoku but find the newspaper tears too easily and is too small to write in the pencilmarks.

Cec
Cec

Postby Ruud » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:01 am

Easier:D

Andrew's solver can be found here: http://www.scanraid.com/sudoku.htm

Ruud
Ruud

Postby Cec » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks Ruud. I've been out for the day seeing my grandchildren and your reply was much appreciated when I arrived home for tea. Andrew Stuart's above link which you sent me is superior to the one I was thinking of and it seems Andrew's revised earlier solver was probably the one I was using some time back.

I don't keep all my Forum posts and, whilst not important, I can now vaguely recall proof reading this link in its "infant" stage following Andrew's request for input from members - at the time I didn't realize it was a review by Andrew of the above link that I liked. Thanks again Ruud and also to Andrew Stuart for your help.

Cec
Cec

Return to Forum questions and feedback