Minor phpBB implementation issues.

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Minor phpBB implementation issues.

Postby David P Bird » Sun May 30, 2010 8:51 am

We are all very appreciative of the concentrated effort that gsf and JasonLion have made to resurrect the Player's forum in recent times and are delighted that we now have a workable and professionally presented bulletin board. The following points to add some polish to the new board are really rather trivial in the whole scheme of things and are probably already on a to-do list, but in case they aren't:

The membership is reported as over 3000, but the vast majority of those listed are inactive. One possibility would be to include the date of the last visit in the member listings to identify them. The options for sorting the list could also be improved. See the Programmers Forum, where it is interesting to note that only 166 members out of 2,500 have made more than 10 posts.

The rather indistinct font size control on the right of the banner is good, but it 'bounces' when an attempt is made to take the size outside the permitted range.

The 'Who is online' display at the foot of most pages only seems to be maintained properly on the main index page - perhaps the only place it's needed.
David P Bird
2010 Supporter

Postby Pat » Sun May 30, 2010 10:54 am

David P Bird wrote:

The options for sorting the list could also be improved. See the Programmers Forum, where it is interesting to note that only 166 members out of 2,500 have made more than 10 posts.

the sorting is available.

missing: the row-number,
      to save the need for counting partial pages.

e.g. 11+ posts (as of right now) --
        8 full pages (40 each) plus a partial page
        = 336
Pat

Re: Minor phpBB implementation issues.

Postby ronk » Sun May 30, 2010 1:33 pm

David P Bird wrote:The 'Who is online' display at the foot of most pages only seems to be maintained properly on the main index page - perhaps the only place it's needed. [/list]

It appears that 'Who is online'
... on the forum index page, is for the entire forum
... on a sub-forum index page, is for that sub-forum
... on a topic (thread) page, may be for that topic only

The latter two might not be useful, but let's wait to see first.

David P Bird wrote:The membership is reported as over 3000, but the vast majority of those listed are inactive. One possibility would be to include the date of the last visit in the member listings to identify them.

I too would like to see that or date of last post. Less conveniently, one can now find the latter by clicking "Search user's posts" on the user's profile page.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby JasonLion » Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 pm

The date a user was last active/logged on in the member list was removed in recent versions of the forum software because it defeats the hide online status setting (which was considered more important).

I took the online member list off of topic pages. ronk was correct in that it was trying to show who was viewing that specific topic right now, but it wasn't even doing that correctly.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby dyitto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:06 am

In any subforum the number of views for eacht topic is visible in a column 'VIEWS'.
Only it counts the number of visits to that topic.
I'd rather be interested in the number of members that have visited that topic at least once.

So if I'd visit a certain topic 5 times and someone else 3 times, i'd rather consider this as 2 views instead of as 8 views.

I know some other forums have it this way.
evert on the crashed forum
dyitto

Return to Forum questions and feedback