Looking for a rule: finned x wing

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby tarek » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 pm

ronk wrote:finned bbbb\rrcc
the elimination cells are part of the base sectors ??!!

For the original I found base sectors r1256 with cover sectors c34 & b36 making it a franken Jellyfish which could explains the eliminations...

Mike Barker wrote:I can live with Frankenfish including row/box or column/box basis sets.

Great:D , so now (I think) we agreed on the classification......
1. basic
2. finned
3. sashimi
4. franken (boxes possible in base or cover sectors, N (rows+boxes) * N (columns+Boxes) or vv) --no fins
5. finned franken
6. mutant ---> N sector *N sector (anything goes) -no fins
7. finned mutant
8. kraken (fish on life support)

if this is fine ........ Then perhaps we can agree on how to represent them on the PM grid:)

Perhaps we should start a new thread with classifications & exam[ples where we could discuss this further...

tarek
tarek

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 pm

tarek wrote:
ronk wrote:finned bbbb\rrcc
the elimination cells are part of the base sectors ??!!

Yes. After disregarding fin cells, all other candidates are necessarily members of both the base sectors and the cover sectors. It is permissible for base sectors to intersect as long as no candidates lie in the intersection. However, candidates that lie in the intersection of cover sectors may be eliminated.

tarek wrote:For the original I found base sectors r1256 with cover sectors c34 & b36 making it a franken Jellyfish which could explains the eliminations...

Assuming you're talking about Ocean's Fig. III, there aren't any cells in c34 shown to be without candidates, so that's not a legal base set IMO.

tarek wrote:so now (I think) we agreed on the classification......
1. basic
2. finned
3. sashimi
4. franken (boxes possible in base or cover sectors, N (rows+boxes) * N (columns+Boxes) or vv) --no fins
5. finned franken
6. mutant ---> N sector *N sector (anything goes) -no fins
7. finned mutant
8. kraken (fish on life support)

That looks like "sashimi franken" and "sashimi mutant" will be absorbed into their finned counterparts .... which is fine with me. However, I suggest renumbering finned and sashimi as 2A and 2B, respectively ... and then renumbering the following accordingly. That way 2A and 2B could later be merged to just "2" or renumbered 4 and 6 could be split into nA and nB numbering ... maintaining consistency from top to bottom. If this is clear, I can redo the list later .... but right now I've got to run to the train.

tarek wrote:Perhaps we should start a new thread with classifications & exam[ples where we could discuss this further...

Do it. We're overdue.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby tarek » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:52 am

ronk wrote:
tarek wrote:Perhaps we should start a new thread with classifications & exam[ples where we could discuss this further...

Do it. We're overdue.

I just started the "Ultimate FISH guide" here

I'll copy/paste examples to the first post ....... It should still be a joint work ... so hopefully diagrams , examples can be supplied to complement the categories......

tarek
tarek

Postby Luke » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:07 am

Gentlemen, you are all quite amazing.

I feel like a schoolboy who kicked a snowball down a hill and watched the ensuing avalanche bury the town below.

I'll be a long time sorting through all the knowledge dispensed in this thread, but in the end I'm sure I'll be the wiser. Thank you all for your efforts, although I can see that this discussion has helped everyone shine a light on whatever uncertainties they still had on the topic.

Kudos for your efforts.

Luke in Ca
Luke
2015 Supporter

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques