London in 2017

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

London in 2017

Postby 999_Springs » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:19 pm

London is a rapidly changing city. (Well it definitely is from my point of view.) Therefore I have created a topic where people can post what changes they think will occur there in the next ten years.
999_Springs

Postby mikejapan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Well, there have been 100 views of this topic but nobody has bothered to reply, so I'll start the ball rolling.

1. Everyone will have to wear CCTV cameras on their head
2. Pizza delivery will become 20% quicker
3. The M4 will become an 8 lane one-way road running clockwise/anti-clockwise on alternative days
4. The Tate Modern will change its name to the Tate Slightly-Old
5. All the London football teams will merge to form one mega-team
6. There will be robotic, self-emptying wheelie bins
7. Every pub will have at least one Australian/New Zealander working behind the bar
8. Ken Livingstone will be the mayor
mikejapan

Postby 999_Springs » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:50 pm

9. Numbers of traffic lights will have trebled.
10. The congestion charge will be £100 because of the congestion.
11. Dial-up modems will be worth a lot in London because of their rarity. (Should I keep mine?)
12. London will have 20 daily free newspapers.

Let the cumulative counting continue.

mikejapan wrote:2. Pizza delivery will become 20% quicker

Presumably because more people will order them by the Internet and will have a pizza slot in their computer hard drive where the pizza comes out?
If not, I don't see how, given increased congestion.
999_Springs

Postby h3lix » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:04 pm

14. The number 13 will no longer exist due to superstition.
h3lix

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:57 am

13 (anti-superstitiously). London will switch to driving on the right side of the road. Like everything British, it will be done gradually. They'll start by doing it just for trucks.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby mikejapan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 am

Pizzas will be quicker because genetetically-modified wheat (wheat genes spliced with Smash (instant potato) genes) will be used. It will only take 20 seconds to cook the base.

Congestation won't be a problem beacause as pizza will have replaced lard as the national dish, there will be pizza shops every 500 yards (890 metres) throughout London, staffed entirely by out-of-work Oxbridge philosophy graduates.
mikejapan

Postby Pat » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:05 pm

mikejapan wrote:
500 yards (890 metres)

the yard will be increased from 91.44 cm to 178 cm
    please don't tell me it's the reverse, a decrease of the metre
Pat

Postby Bigtone53 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Yeah, but as Mike says, Ken will still be Mayor. Sorry Boris (and indeed, Sorry London)
Bigtone53

Postby Glyn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:58 pm

15. The Olympic Stadium will be completed.
Glyn

Postby 999_Springs » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:35 pm

16. All of the free newspapers will publish a daily page of all-singles Su-Doku puzzles with ludicrous time limits for no reason.
17. London will have expanded so much that it will occupy all of the South East and half of the Midlands except for all the coast.
18. Westminster will have 40 pieces of chewing gum per square metre of pavement, double the present number.
19. The Olympics will have been disastrous and people will still be complaining about it.
999_Springs

Postby mikejapan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:03 pm

mikejapan

Re: London in 2017

Postby 999_Springs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 pm

... wow. just wow. it's really been 10 years since i made this topic? 10 whole years? that's nearly half my life ago!? absolutely incredible. how things have changed. i suddenly feel so old.

having suddenly remembered this topic, i revisited these forums for the first time in nearly three years for the sake of nostalgia and had a quick browse around - including all my posts from back when i was a naive, extremely sheltered, and socially awkward 13 year old kid. back then, i had no idea how the internet worked and had been brainwashed to believe that all strangers on the internet were horrible people out to get me for something. the way i wrote posts makes me cringe in shock looking back on myself - but then again, what can i say, everyone was a 13 year old once, and this forum did serve me well as a nice introduction to the internet as well as to sudoku. i have to give sincere thanks to all those nice people who put up with me back then. i've changed so much as a person - for one thing i write all my posts in lowercase nowadays after the internet taught me the beauty of a little casual informality.

to anyone reading this, please, please don't look back through my 2007 posts. i implore you.

i remember that in fact i originally wanted to sign up for these forums when i did that 18-clue SE 9.5 when i was 12 and wanted to show off, but didn't sign up because there was a rule that said you had to be 13, and back then i was the sort of person who would believe that if i signed up under 13 then policemen would hunt me down and rampage my house. yeah i seriously believed that.

enough nostalgia, let's get to the predictions:

mikejapan wrote:1. Everyone will have to wear CCTV cameras on their head
2. Pizza delivery will become 20% quicker
3. The M4 will become an 8 lane one-way road running clockwise/anti-clockwise on alternative days
4. The Tate Modern will change its name to the Tate Slightly-Old
5. All the London football teams will merge to form one mega-team
6. There will be robotic, self-emptying wheelie bins
7. Every pub will have at least one Australian/New Zealander working behind the bar
8. Ken Livingstone will be the mayor

1. nope, we don't go around with cctv cameras on our heads. however we do have smartphones that can act as cctv cameras recording everything we come across if we want to - video recording is far, far easily done on a phone now compared to back then. however if you were referring to the surveillance thing that you point out later on in a link, i'll come back to that.

2. i have no reliable statistics on pizza delivery times back in 2007 so i can't tell how true this is for certain. but we don't have genetically modified wheat that cooks pizza bases in 20 seconds yet like you said. not that i know of. also, there aren't that many more pizza shops in london now compared to 2007.

3. i think you mean the M25 not the M4. the M4 is a straight line that goes to wales so it wouldn't make sense to call a direction clockwise or anticlockwise unless you mean the M25. but no, the M25 doesn't go clockwise and anticlockwise on alternate days, though that gave me a laugh trying to imagine all cars reversing at the cusp of midnight.

4. nope. 10 years is nothing when it comes to art.

5. nope. our football rivalries are still alive and well. however if afc wimbledon continue progressing at the rate they're going, they might just about take over all of london's football teams soon enough.

6. i have never seen one, but a quick google search shows that they do exist (or have existed a few years back). nice prediction.

7. hahahaha nope.

8. oh thank god this one didn't happen!!

999_Springs wrote:9. Numbers of traffic lights will have trebled.
10. The congestion charge will be £100 because of the congestion.
11. Dial-up modems will be worth a lot in London because of their rarity. (Should I keep mine?)
12. London will have 20 daily free newspapers.

9. boris johnson pledged as mayor to stop the increase in the number of traffic lights, so although we went from 5972 in 2008 to 6252 in 2015, my prediction was way off.

10. no it's £11.50

11. i wish. and no.

12. we only have 2 now, the metro and the evening standard.

h3lix wrote:14. The number 13 will no longer exist due to superstition.

nope

Smythe Dakota wrote:13 (anti-superstitiously). London will switch to driving on the right side of the road. Like everything British, it will be done gradually. They'll start by doing it just for trucks.

nope. driving on the left is something that we brits pride ourselves on just to be different.

mikejapan wrote:Congestation won't be a problem beacause as pizza will have replaced lard as the national dish, there will be pizza shops every 500 yards (890 metres) throughout London, staffed entirely by out-of-work Oxbridge philosophy graduates.

HEY. i know a few oxbridge philosophy grads personally and they're pretty cool people. one of them founded 3 startups after graduating (although that does mean that 2 of them failed, but whatever).

Pat wrote:the yard will be increased from 91.44 cm to 178 cm

please don't tell me it's the reverse, a decrease of the metre

nope. neither. thank goodness.

Glyn wrote:15. The Olympic Stadium will be completed.

correct! and it's pretty cool

999_Springs wrote:16. All of the free newspapers will publish a daily page of all-singles Su-Doku puzzles with ludicrous time limits for no reason.
17. London will have expanded so much that it will occupy all of the South East and half of the Midlands except for all the coast.
18. Westminster will have 40 pieces of chewing gum per square metre of pavement, double the present number.
19. The Olympics will have been disastrous and people will still be complaining about it.

16. i believe the evening standard does this, but the metro doesn't (not with the time limits), so that's half right

17. the interior of the M25 counts as "all the south east except for the coast", but we're nowhere near conquering the midlands. not yet anyway.

18. vacuously false because the original statistic where i got the "westminster has 20 pieces of gum per m^2 of pavement" was probably made up.

19. when i wrote that, i probably meant the 2012 olympics, but since i didn't specify that, that could have been taken to mean 2008 or 2016. 2008 and 2012 were awesome, but i do believe that 2016 was badly planned and had more than its share of problems, and could have been vastly improved. so that's technically true-ish.

hmm. i read the article. interesting prophecy - what it did get right was the fact that increased surveillance would be a thing. however it turns out that most of the increased surveillance was to happen on the internet and not in real life, although gps and stuff can track wherever you are in real life as long as you bring your smartphone with you. so we don't need "tiny spy-planes".

as far as internet surveillance goes, i don't claim to know a lot about the topic, but i do think theresa may is trying to push through a lot of stuff regarding this, like that bill that just got passed regarding isp's having to store a year's worth of everybody's internet history, which was unpopular with everyone. i think the tories were trying to get that through parliament as early as 2010 but we had that con-libdem coalition and the libdems were really against it. now that libdems are basically an extinct species, and labour don't really care, we're pushing more of these surveillance laws through, much to everybody's dismay.

we don't have curfews for u18's or id cards that you have to carry around with you the entire time. we're not that fascist. and no, policemen don't have tasers. this isn't america.

we have cashless shopping though, but it's not through a microchip, it's contactless payment cards. or bitcoin. bitcoins are awesome. except when they do that thing when they fell 25% within an hour today while i was eating breakfast. most expensive breakfast of my life. aaagh.

another thing that they got right was most phone calls being online. whatsapp is cool.

having said all that, i seriously don't think that there is any way the uk would be able to push through privacy invasive laws to the extent mentioned in the article at any point, despite the perfect storm of brexit and trump and theresa may - not only would it receive a huge backlash through the public, but the amounts of data that need to be processed on a daily basis both by computers and humans would be far too large for anything on that scale to be practical, and take up far too much time. besides - with every invasion of privacy, people will find ways to circumvent it.

well that was a cool nostalgia trip. well done to the sudoku player's forums for surviving long enough to finally allow me to deliver on this topic! hope you guys continue to thrive for many more years.
999_Springs

Return to Coffee bar