Location of dubbing toolbar

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Location of dubbing toolbar

Postby shakers » Tue May 10, 2005 7:14 am

When you select to dub a puzzle, the dub toolbar (Verify, More, etc) appears on top of the grid - this is really annoying as the first thing you have to do is to move it before you can start dubbing.

Could the previous location of the toolbar be stored? I know it's a really small thing, but it niggles.:)
shakers

Postby Pappocom » Tue May 10, 2005 10:53 am

There's an explanation for this, in the Help Topics - look in the Contents under The Details/4 sources of puzzles/Dub: single imported puzzles/Moving the toolbar.

Once you've read the explanation, let me know whether you still think the toolbar should be re-located, anyway.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby shakers » Tue May 10, 2005 11:04 am

Pappocom wrote:There's an explanation for this, in the Help Topics - look in the Contents under The Details/4 sources of puzzles/Dub: single imported puzzles/Moving the toolbar.

Once you've read the explanation, let me know whether you still think the toolbar should be re-located, anyway.

Granted (and a humble acknowledgment that I didn't consider RTFM about the toolbar location).

As a regular dubber, I personally would still prefer the toolbar to be at least in the last position used. Using the last postion would mean that if someone went to dub by mistake the toolbar would still block the grid assuming they hadn't dubbed before.

Maybe a more preferable solution would be for the colours of the grid itself and the numbers to be inverted (or at least noticeably different) when in dubbing mode to make it clear that you are not in the standard solving mode.

Having RTFM, I've also confirmed that dubbed puzzles are not eligible for the HoF, but unless I'm missing something, there is no reason given for this; why could they not be considered eligible?
shakers

Postby Pappocom » Wed May 11, 2005 7:31 pm

shakers wrote:As a regular dubber, I personally would still prefer the toolbar to be at least in the last position used. Using the last postion would mean that if someone went to dub by mistake the toolbar would still block the grid assuming they hadn't dubbed before.

A good point. I may well change the existing behavior for the next release. Probably the program would remember the position of the toolbar during intra-session uses, but start from the present position at each fresh launch. You never know what first-timer might use the program at next launch.

shakers wrote:Maybe a more preferable solution would be for the colours of the grid itself and the numbers to be inverted ...

The numbers do already appear in the color reserved for wrong numbers. That color is usually red, according to most Appearance files. They stay that way until you Play the puzzle. For more info, see the Help Topics (in the Index, look up "Dubbing puzzles/Dubbing with mouse").

shakers wrote:Having RTFM, I've also confirmed that dubbed puzzles are not eligible for the HoF, but unless I'm missing something, there is no reason given for this; why could they not be considered eligible?

The Hall of Fame is protected (as far as practicable) from falsely-manipulated entries. If dubbed puzzles could be admitted to the Hall of Fame, it would be possible to solve the puzzle on paper first, dub in the puzzle and Verify it and Play it, and then quickly type in the answer. It's similar to the matter we discussed in http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=82.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby RaleyD » Wed May 11, 2005 9:41 pm

A related matter concerning the toolbar:

If you enter Dub mode while using Keyboard mode, it is quite difficult to move the dubbing toolbar. The mouse cursor is invisible whenever you are over the puzzle area, so you cannot see when you have moved it over the toolbar (you can move the toolbar if you manage to find the right place).

Since I prefer to dub in key mode, I find this quite annoying.

RaleyD
RaleyD

Postby Pappocom » Wed May 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Hello RaleyD.

There's a Help Topic on the subject of moving the dubbing toolbar with keyboard input. Have you had a look at it? You can find it in the Index under "Dubbing puzzles/Dubbing with keys".

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby shakers » Thu May 12, 2005 5:40 pm

Pappocom wrote:
shakers wrote:Maybe a more preferable solution would be for the colours of the grid itself and the numbers to be inverted ...

The numbers do already appear in the color reserved for wrong numbers. That color is usually red, according to most Appearance files. They stay that way until you Play the puzzle. For more info, see the Help Topics (in the Index, look up "Dubbing puzzles/Dubbing with mouse").

True, but it is not particularly noticeable (maybe I should try another colour), and I still feel inverting the grid would make things stand out.

Pappocom wrote:
shakers wrote:Having RTFM, I've also confirmed that dubbed puzzles are not eligible for the HoF, but unless I'm missing something, there is no reason given for this; why could they not be considered eligible?

The Hall of Fame is protected (as far as practicable) from falsely-manipulated entries. If dubbed puzzles could be admitted to the Hall of Fame, it would be possible to solve the puzzle on paper first, dub in the puzzle and Verify it and Play it, and then quickly type in the answer. It's similar to the matter we discussed in http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=82.

I rather assumed it was for similar reasons, and I think what I wrote in that thread still stands - make it stand out in the HoF by all means, but it would still be nice to have a record.
shakers

Postby geabo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:53 pm

My vote goes to the dubbing toolbar NOT blocking the grid.

I have read the Help and find the - well intentioned - reasoning slightly far fetched: how many people (since the only way to get to that mode is File -> Dub... or Ctrl+U) end up in dubbing mode by accident and subsequently don´t know what to do next? Very, very few, I think.

Here is my suggestion: in the title of the dubbing toolbar, continuously BLINK the word "Dubbing". That way it cannot ever be overlooked. (Could not demonstrate it here but this allows you to get the idea.)

Alternatively I think having the program remember the dubbing toolbar´s last position would work fine too.
geabo

Return to Forum questions and feedback