LA Times Diabolical January 18, 2013

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Re: LA Times Diabolical January 18, 2013

Postby Leren » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 am

pjb wrote:I struggled with Leren's first solution until it occurred to me that the 4r27c3 should surely be 4r3c27. Interestingly, an alternate W wing is the same two 34's but transmitted via r12c5.

Phil

You caught me out having another dyslexic moment - I've fixed my post accordingly.

Thanks for spotting the error - Leren
Leren

Postby eleven » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

DonM wrote:Just eye-balling your solution, it is not clear to me what the operative SIS (provided by the BW) is, and/or whether this a net. As you say, there are 7 guardians. From what I see, it would take 3 cells with a 5 to knock out the guardians which, to me, usually means having to use a net. I'd like to better understand your solution- is there a derived SIS you can point out?

In my eyes it is a net, because i need 4 simple chains (and the BW). All moves with 2 simple chains can also be written as a simple AIC.

I also would call your AIC a net, because in fact you need this additional short chain, that one of the 3 guardians lead to another. However this can be hidden with a clever formulation. But i would compare that with a simple net, which is started from the 3 occurances of a digit in a house.

On the other hand i could claim, that my move is a chain, because it only has 2 endpoints and i could write it in a way similar to
5r3c4-[r9c3=5r9c139&r2c5=r2c79])-BW=5[r7c8-(5=3)r7c5-3r8c5 | 5r5c8-(5=8)r5c1-(8=5)r1c1-(5=3)r8c1]=5r8c8
But i think, that is a net nevertheless and much harder to read.
eleven

Postby DonM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

eleven wrote:
DonM wrote:Just eye-balling your solution, it is not clear to me what the operative SIS (provided by the BW) is, and/or whether this a net. As you say, there are 7 guardians. From what I see, it would take 3 cells with a 5 to knock out the guardians which, to me, usually means having to use a net. I'd like to better understand your solution- is there a derived SIS you can point out?

In my eyes it is a net, because i need 4 simple chains (and the BW). All moves with 2 simple chains can also be written as a simple AIC.

I also would call your AIC a net, because in fact you need this additional short chain, that one of the 3 guardians lead to another. However this can be hidden with a clever formulation. But i would compare that with a simple net, which is started from the 3 occurances of a digit in a house.

Thanks for the explanation. I was more interested in understanding your solution than comparing it to mine. But with regards to mine, you're making it more complicated than it is: there is a direct relationship only between 2 digits- one of the guardians and another digit, that, if true, would remove the other two guardians. No clever formulation was necessary to hide anything more complicated than that.
DonM
2013 Supporter

Previous

Return to Puzzles