Killer Sudoku

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Killer Sudoku

Postby nickmoss » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:17 am

How about an upgrade to the program to generate Killer Sudoku puzzles as well. Even the Fiendish normal ones aren't testing me any more, and there's not enough Killer's in the Times to keep me entertained - I've just had to buy the book to keep me busy.
nickmoss

Postby zman55 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:23 am

Thy to solve it!
But I call this a Supper Sudoku Matrix...
The Diagonals have the same rule as the rows, columns and 3x3 sections.
Meaning they have numbers 1 thru 9 and the top diagonal is in order...!

The bottom diagonal can't be ordered...

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7
0 2 0 0 0 0 0 6 0
0 0 3 0 0 0 9 0 0
0 0 0 4 0 8 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 2 0 6 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0
0 4 0 0 0 0 0 8 0
3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 9

Have fun...!

If you need the solution let me know...
I can solve any Sudoku Problem...
zman55

Postby zman55 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:23 am

Try to solve it!
But I call this a Supper Sudoku Matrix...
The Diagonals have the same rule as the rows, columns and 3x3 sections.
Meaning they have numbers 1 thru 9 and the top diagonal is in order...!

The bottom diagonal can't be ordered...

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7
0 2 0 0 0 0 0 6 0
0 0 3 0 0 0 9 0 0
0 0 0 4 0 8 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 2 0 6 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 7 0 0
0 4 0 0 0 0 0 8 0
3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 9

Have fun...!

If you need the solution let me know...
I can solve any Sudoku Problem...
zman55

Postby Karyobin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks for posting it twice.

Are you claiming you can solve such a sudoku by logic alone?
Karyobin

SORRY, slow network responces...

Postby zman55 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:54 pm

That is why it got posted twice...
I hit the send button it did not seem to respond so I hit it again...
That is probably why you got it twice...

As for solving by guessing and logic...
Yes, for logic if you consider the program I created...

It involves no guessing...
Why should I mess around with eye work and needless number
placement... When I can create a program to do my work for me.

BIG SMILES!!!
zman55

Postby Karyobin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:56 pm

I am truly fascinated and stunned and remain somewhat at a loss as to how to respond to such a statement/thread. In simple terms therefore:

1. Most people attempt the puzzles for the joy of achievement, and all could in fact dub any puzzle into one of the many excellent programs available and have it do the work for them.
    2. Are you not aware that such a monstrosity has more than one solution, and as such requires guesswork?
    3. Whatever you have created (which for me at least will remain a mystery, at least until a link is posted) is almost certainly resorting to guesswork to complete such puzzles and bearing in mind your stated denial of this fact it would seem you do not know that your construction is doing this.
    4. You have created a program that puts numbers in squares.
All of the above may, of course be incorrect. In anticipation of this I offer my humblest apologies for the disservice I have done you and would request a brief explanation of how the first, say, three cells of the puzzle you offer can be completed?

Keep smiling.
Karyobin

Postby CathyW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:33 pm

If it's meant to be a "Killer Su Doku" there ought to be some cages with numbers in the corner to give us some clues. Is there a link to the puzzle proper - it is certainly unsolveable without guesswork otherwise.

Meantime, for those that may like to try a diagonal killer - visit www.djape.net Today's puzzle was a diagonal (though in the solution the numbers 1-9 are not in order in either diagonal) and there was one last week too (6th Oct) which can be found in the puzzle archive.
CathyW

I have bad vision..!

Postby zman55 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:40 pm

That is why I created number crunching program to solve my puzzles...
It is just a 81 nested do loop fortran program...

With high speed computers now...why waste my time doing puzzles when I can just enter the 9x9 matrix in (zeros for the unknowns) and my program will do the rest. A matter of seconds for easy puzzles and as for the diagonals and puzzles having less than 9 values then it takes longer.
And as you said you get 1,000's if not millions of solutions to some puzzles. But then again we have large GB drives so no problem with output space.

I really don't see the SUDOKU...as a puzzle... I see it more as a MATRIX and a math problem....and thus a programing problem...now my trick is to try and improve my program so it runs faster.

BIG SMILES...
zman55

Postby PaulIQ164 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:45 pm

Presumably then, you never watch programmes on television, preferring instead to position a stuffed toy in front of the TV and letting it watch it for you. After all, why waste your time?
PaulIQ164

Postby Karyobin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Now, now Paul, don't be catty. I myself am fully appraised of this approach and can't imagine why I didn't think of it myself. From now on I shall cease eating, as I can't be bothered. Presumably this will lead to my having to excrete less, so I shall visit the toilet less as well. Hang on, why stop there? Why should I even bother to get out of bed in the morninigs? I could just deposit my minimal refuse whilst in bed, and phone someone to drag me to a different room when the bed's full.

'IIIIiii'm wicked and I'm laaaazzyy....'

Berk.
Karyobin

Postby emm » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:07 pm

That’s outrageous! And it wouldn’t work anyway because who would drag you round?

For all you deride zman, at least he’s happy playing in his own mess, with the expectation that he can proliferate exponentially and at ever increasing speeds without ever requiring another human soul to clean up after him! (fairly disgusted)
emm

Postby Karyobin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:25 pm

As ever em, you bring an air of sense and reason to proceedings. (chastened gurgling)
Karyobin

Its funny you people play the puzzle...

Postby zman55 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:58 pm

But you seem not to understand how to write a program
to solve it...

I pretty much can solve any sudoku puzzle with my program..

As long as I have specific numbers to put into it...

A solution is a solution and there can more than one right answers some times.

As far as being lazy. I would like to see you write a simple program that
can solve the 9x9 matrix with no errors.

To prove it... Give me an extremely hard Sudoku Puzzle to Solve...!
(i.e. The more numbers will make it easy and the fewer the numbers will also make it easy for it will have many solutions.)

As for laziness...that is all in your point of mind. I don't see you solving Sudoku on an abacus...let alone an old Atari computer! We advance so we use more advance tools... So, why not use program compiling tools to solve a sudoku puzzle...?

They even use similar tools to help with complex chess games.

Although, I admit it is much more fun to play one-on-one...!
(And I am far from a master at chess...)
zman55

Postby CathyW » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:35 am

Well ... for me and I suspect a lot of others who use this forum, the fun of doing Su Duko is to have the satisfaction of working it all out yourself, looking for the pairs and triples and hoping that you may have occasion to try out one of the advanced techniques. Personally find no satisfaction at all in number crunching on computer.

Have you looked at the programmers' forum Zman?
CathyW

Award

Postby fish953 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:09 am

How about an upgrade to the program to generate Killer Sudoku puzzles as well. Even the Fiendish normal ones aren't testing me any more, and there's not enough Killer's in the Times to keep me entertained - I've just had to buy the book to keep me busy.

:(! You should definatly be given smoething for that. :X
fish953

Next

Return to Forum questions and feedback