killer sudoku 13th Sept

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

killer sudoku 13th Sept

Postby gmc » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:31 pm

One of my workmates was appalled to see starting numbers in today's killer sudoku so thought it might be more interesting to try it blank. I think it can be worked out - don't know what difficulty that would make it tho.
gmc

Postby boaz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:12 pm

with the numbers I dont know how they called TRICKY... took me less than 10 minutes.
As has been said in another thread, it looks like its been 'dumbed' down for the masses.

I have always enjoyed the challenge of one that takes an hour or so. I may also try it later without the starting numbers, given a bit of time to forget the easy version.

As for the FIENDISH...harder please, my poor pencil is feeling left out:(
boaz

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:22 am

Again, yesterday's didn't need any of the numbers that were already filled in. I had a crack at it yesterday evening without using the starting numbers. I found the trickiest thing about the puzzle was ignoring those initially given until I'd proved they were correct - didn't have any Typex at home....:)

Starting with the blank puzzle I thought it was harder than the ones from the last few days - or maybe it was too late in the evening.

And again no issue with numbers repeated in enclosures.

Paul
Enigma

Postby zebedeezbd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:40 am

I am inclined to agree that I much prefer to start a "blank" killer puzzle.

I was especially irritated by Killer No 9 which had six starting numbers filled in (effectively 8 due to there also being two single-box blocks). FOUR of those six could have been filled in absolutely trivially based on the other two. OK, it would only make the puzzle last 10 seconds longer if they had omitted those four, but doesn't everyone agree there's much more satisfaction in completing a su doku with just 2 starting numbers as opposed to 6?
zebedeezbd

Return to Sudoku variants