Killer - inherent clue?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Killer - inherent clue?

Postby Niko » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:45 am

I expect to stand corrected on this but I would say that Killer Su dokus may be easier than their original counterparts due to the inherant clues to start with. Granted I have only finished my second, a moderate, but given that the dashed blocks must add up to a certain sum they must contain a set series of numbers. So it becomes a simple prcoess of elinimation, the addition work merely serves as a help - making it look more difficult than it really is.

The second, and probably safer(!), point is that it is much easier to correct yourself if you go wrong because on the addition work clues in group of cells.

All that said, I still really enjoy them!

Please correct me/tell me if I'm not making sense.
Niko

Postby Karyobin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am

Yes, you're making sense and happily your assessment is quite correct. I have a feeling, however, that when you start to look at the harder Killers, it'll prove cold comfort. In the nicest way possible, it seems a bit like saying "all you need to do to win a battle is kill more of the enemy".

Well, yeeesss, but...
Karyobin

Postby ChrisT » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 am

Karyobin: where can one find these harder killers? I'd be very grateful if you could point me towards a source other than the Times. In their original article someone was quoted as saying "we can make these puzzles so hard that it would take a champion six hours to complete" and yet since their very first page of killers, which contained a "deadly" (still not too bad) they have all seemed remarkably straightforward. I'm not saying I want to spend six hours on one, but it would be nice to have a challenge!

Chris
ChrisT

Postby boaz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:18 am

ChrisT

a look through the previous topics will link you to some sites with "killer" sudoku.
this is one
http://www.djape.net/sudoku/wp/?page_id=38
but there are others

C
boaz

Postby Karyobin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:22 pm

And there's always the Killer Sudoku book published by The Times as well, though predictably there're about ten worth doing and all the rest are just stocking-fillers.
Karyobin

Return to Sudoku variants