Is www.setbb.com alive?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Is www.setbb.com alive?

Postby Serg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 am

Hi, people!
I cannot access site www.setbb.com (I mean its sudoku forum) for 5 days. Does someone know anything about this site state?

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:16 am

Sudoku Programmers Forum is okay, no problem
Pat

Re: Is www.setbb.com alive?

Postby Serg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi, Pat!
Thank you for your response to my post. But I am still no access to setbb.com site (browser returns diagnostics somewhat like "DNS cannot determine IP-address of this site"). It looks like our local (Russian) Internet-providers have some problems with DNS. But I tried to route to setbb.com by 2 different Internet-provider. I failed to access the site in both cases.

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

then use the numeric address --

206.251.76.133/sudoku
Pat

Postby dobrichev » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm

add (temporarily) the following record to your hosts file

206.251.76.133 www.setbb.com
dobrichev
2016 Supporter

Postby Serg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi, colleagues!
Unfortunately it is impossible to access www.setbb.com even by IP-address (diagnostic "Connection timeout"). "ping www.setbb.com" or "ping 206.251.76.133" don't work in the same way. I've tried to access site by 5 different Internet providers in 2 cities in Russia and failed to do it in all cases. I consulted with Internet expert. He is sure the cause is incorrect network setting on this site that limits access by Internet to this site for some regions (for example, for Russia).
So, good-bye, www.setbb.com sudoku forum :( .

I am planning to send my problem description to ruud (I think he is the setbb.com/sudoku forum administrator)

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby dobrichev » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

There is an announcement from the administrator here
Extended Countries Blockage on our Firewall List
Hi,

As of 16th January 2011, we have added the entire IP range for the following countries to our firewall list:

China
Russia
Latvia

So far, we only receive 0.0001 traffic from the above countries, but their spamming activities are in millions.

If you have legit members coming from the above countries, please let us know and we will be able to add them into our white list.
dobrichev
2016 Supporter

Postby Serg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi, dobrichev!
Thank you for help! The situation is clear now. I've already sent e-mail to ruud. (I have still no response from him.) Hope I'll be moved from "black list" to "white list" :) . Thank you for your patience.

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby ronk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Serg wrote:I've already sent e-mail to ruud. (I have still no response from him.)

Ruud has been retired from sudoku activities for at least 2 years now. I think you'd have better luck contacting angusj (Angus Johnson).
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Serg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:10 am

Hi, Ronk!
Thank you for your help, but I've decided not to recover access to setbb.com/sudoku forum. I think their "country filtering rule" is discrimination that was introduced in very rude way. I am offended and decided not to attend setbb.com/sudoku forum until its administrators will withdraw their "country filtering rule" and apologize for their actions. (I understand that it is unreal.) Fortunately, setbb.com/sudoku forum is not the only place where we can discuss sudoku properties. Thanks to all colleagues for their help! I am closing this thread.

Yours sincerely,
Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby JasonLion » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:28 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that setbb.com and the Sudoku Programmers Forum are two separate entities. setbb.com is a site that offers free forum hosting, and they make decisions about things like blocking countries without consulting their clients. Meanwhile the Sudoku Programmers Forum is a community that choose setbb.com as the site to host their forum years ago and no longer has any practical way to change hosts.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Return to Coffee bar