I can't enter a pencilmark "11" with the number pa

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

I can't enter a pencilmark "11" with the number pa

Postby WastingTimeAtWork » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:41 pm

:(started playing 12x12's today and I can't seem to make a pencilmark "11" with the number pad. 10 & 12 work fine and 11 works fine if i use the top-row numbers on my keyboard, but no luck with the number pad. anyone else have this problem??
WastingTimeAtWork

Postby Pappocom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Which Control key are you using - the Left one or the Right one?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby WastingTimeAtWork » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:58 pm

Right.
Works just fine with the left - i hadn't checked that.
I've gotten used to using left hand = right ctrl & arrows, Right hand = keypad
still kind of weird that 10 & 12 through 16 work using the right ctrl key & keypad and 11 doesn't; also that the right ctrl key works with the "1" on the keyboard top row but not with the keypad.
WastingTimeAtWork

Postby Pappocom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:03 pm

It's something to do with keyboard design...

This matter is covered in the Help Topics. In the Keyboard Input topic, it says: "If you need to use the Control key, use the left-side Control key. The right-side Control key works most of the time but not always."

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Son of Pappocom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm

I remember in the old days (i.e. the 80s!) that keyboards grouped keys together. Only one or two keys in a group would be registered at once. So sometimes, a particular keyboard would have a problem with a complex key combination. This was often noticed in games, when you might have to hold down several keys at once.

So it may be that the right-side Ctrl key on your keyboard is connected in some way to the keypad. I have no idea of the technical reasons behind any of this, but I have noticed it as a consumer.
Son of Pappocom

Return to Forum questions and feedback