Hybrid Gattai in Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver 3.6.6

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Hybrid Gattai in Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver 3.6.6

Postby enxio27 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:04 am

According to the SudokuSolver software page:
The latest version provides additional support for hybrid Gattai puzzles, with different grids having different attributes.

However, I am having difficulty figuring out how to define the puzzle type (diagonal, windoku, asterisk, etc.) for each grid individually instead of for the entire puzzle. I've tried it both before pasting the puzzle codes and after, to no avail. Can any of you help?
enxio27

Re: Hybrid Gattai in Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver 3.6.6

Postby tarek » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:58 am

I downloaded 3.6.6 & I couldn't find an obvious way to control each grid individually.

My guess is that this will need to happen from a definitions file which you have to manually change then import for these changes to take effect.

As a side note: 1to9only made a class modification to Sukaku explainer to allow gattai solving similar to Richard's but I think that that variants at this moment can only be applied to all of the subgrids rather to each one individually!

tarek
tarek

Postby 1to9only » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:03 am

SukakuExplainer - Addons - this is for solving/rating samurais and doags where all grids are of the same variant - the addon is no longer available as it requires an older release of SukakuExplainer, and I've not got round to rebuild it for the most recent release. I'm not aware of anyone downloading/using it.
1to9only

Postby Hajime » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 am

Or you may try SiSeSuSo.exe. Just released today.
http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/sisesuso-simple-serial-sudoku-solver-t35062-15.html
I would be honored to hear your opinion.
Hajime

Postby tarek » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:45 pm

enxio27 wrote:Can any of you help?

I may have discovered the solution :D

When you select the extended puzzle type, you'll find on your left a tick box to select Jigsaw
select 9 cells and then press the "Add jigsaw nonet" button

I suspect you have to do that for each box, diagonal, asterisk and window which on a Sumo will be tedious!

tarek

[Well I thought I did until I discovered that we are restricted to non overlapping nonets :x ]
tarek

Postby enxio27 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm

1to9only wrote:SukakuExplainer - Addons - this is for solving/rating samurais and doags where all grids are of the same variant - the addon is no longer available as it requires an older release of SukakuExplainer, and I've not got round to rebuild it for the most recent release. I'm not aware of anyone downloading/using it.

I have SukakuExplainer 1.15.10, and I was able to download the Addons file. I will give those a try. Thanks so much!
Last edited by enxio27 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enxio27

Postby enxio27 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Hajime wrote:Or you may try SiSeSuSo.exe. Just released today.
http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/sisesuso-simple-serial-sudoku-solver-t35062-15.html
I would be honored to hear your opinion.

I will give it a try this week!
enxio27

Postby enxio27 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks so much for all of the input, both here and by private message. I will give all of the software suggestions a try. I have also emailed Richard Broughton with the question I posed in the top post, but I don't hold out much hope of a reply anytime soon. He, like many others before him, appears to have moved on to other interests, although he is kind enough to continue hosting the SudokuSolver forum and occasionally update the SudokuSolver program.

As most of you know, I'm a pencil-and-paper solver. I use the software to grade and validate puzzles, calculate pencil marks, print the puzzles, and occasionally give me a hint when I get stuck. Although I still have quite a few puzzles in queue (thanks to several of you and others who have moved on), I also like to have the ability to generate sudoku variant puzzles (mainly for future-proofing). I don't need a high level of difficulty--the extra constraints and multiple grids provide enough of a challenge and variety for me. I dabble in killers and other math-based puzzles once in a while, but I much prefer puzzles that require only logic. My repertoire of techniques is limited to swordfish, X-wings, N/H doubles/triples/quads/quints, and locked candidates, and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

I am convinced that my difficulty with several puzzles recently (tarek's Bank Holiday 1108 Sumo, Hajime's Xmas 2018, and others) is that due to either the unusual grid arrangement or the hybrid nature of the puzzle, I can't import the entire puzzle into SudokuSolver, JSudoku, etc. Instead, I have to import each grid as a separate puzzle and hope I get the eliminations correct in the overlapping areas. I think that mistakes in that area are what have caused me to mess up the puzzles and have to start over. That's why I was excited to see that SudokuSolver reportedly now has the ability to handle hybrid gattai, if only I could figure out how to make it work.
enxio27

Return to Software