How to be sure cell lines appear in print-out

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

How to be sure cell lines appear in print-out

Postby Pappocom » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:36 pm

With your printer, some of the fine lines dividing the cells may not be printing out. Every printer has its own idea of how thick a line should be. The Sudoku program recognizes this, so has an in-built means for getting thicker lines.

You can use the Appearance dialog to make the lines thicker. Press F2 to get the Appearance dialog, and go to the Line Weights tab. From the list of choices, select the kind of line you want to make thicker, and then adjust its thickness or "weight". You will see the changes being made in the on-screen puzzle grid.

Although the lines on the screen are thicker, there is another step to make sure that the lines print out the way you want them.

When you bring up the normal Print dialog, there is an "Appearance" frame in it (not the same thing as the Appearance dialog), with two radio boxes - one for "Onscreen settings" and one for "Printing.saf settings". The latter is the default. If you want to print out using the line-thickness you see on-screen, change the setting to "Onscreen settings".

When you leave the checkmark on the default "Printing.saf settings", printing is done using the settings in a special appearance file called Printing.saf.

To save yourself the bother of changing the on-screen line thickness every time you want to print a puzzle, you should *Save* the (corrected) onscreen settings into the Printing.saf file, for future use. The next time you go to print a puzzle, you can leave the Print dialog at its default "Printing.saf settings". You will get the printed puzzles the way you want them, without messing up the way your onscreen puzzle looks.

All of this is explained in the Help topics. Within the Sudoku program, go to the Help menu and select "Help Topics...". Then on the Index tab, select "Printing.saf/Appearance in print".
Pappocom

internal lines of puzzle not printing

Postby kmax » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:09 am

I have followed all the instructions conveyed to me both in this forum and by the Help file of the program but still cannot get the lines inside the puzzles to print.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.
kmax

Postby Pappocom » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:34 am

Could you try downloading the latest driver for your model of printer from the Epson site. Installing the latest driver (or re-installing it, if you already have the latest version) usually fixes any remaining problems. That's particularly so for owners of Brother printers. Yours is the first non-Brother printer to have reported a problem. Could you let me know how you get on, perhaps by way of email (using the email button below).

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby kmax » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:55 am

Thank you for your help. I found another tip which has solved the problem for me: to choose inkjet photo paper instead of the default, and a higher resolution for the printing. My drivers are up to date.
kmax

Postby MARKAY » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:21 pm

THE SECRET TO PRINTING THE GRIDLINES IS THAT AFTER YOU CLICK ON PRINT AND GET THE OPTIONS, BE SURE TO MARK THE ONSCREEN PRINTING UNDER APPEARANCE, NOT saf. IT HAS TO BE CHANGED EVERY TIME, BECAUSE IT REVERTS TO saf. FOR EACH PRINTING. AT FIRST THE INSTRUCTIONS WERE NOT CLEAR, BECAUSE THERE WERE 2 APPEARANCE BOXES.
MARKAY

Postby a63548 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:58 pm

It worked for me.

HP Deskjet 970 CXI

tks alot

a63548
a63548

Return to Forum questions and feedback