How smart are you?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Re: How smart are you?

Postby MCC » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 am

udosuk wrote:
Cec wrote:
usoduk wrote:9 living sheep are left. But if you count dead ones then 16 are left...

Yes..the question is ambiguous but where's the 17th sheep?

In your initial post (top of the page) you wrote 16 sheep. Now you say 17?
The 17th sheep is the black sheep of the family and was never spoken of.

MCC
MCC

Postby Cec » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 am

udosuk wrote:Even for an innings in a cricket match, there could be 0 out (winning by 10 wickets)... But I maintain that it's a baseball inning not a cricket innings...

OK. I did previously acknowledge in the following quote that this question did relate to a baseball inning and not a cricket innings:
myself wrote:Following Hud's and udosuk's above comments and the answer provided by the Test "source" I would now conclude that question (d) was intended to relate to baseball and not cricket ..."

You are entitled to your view that the question clearly related to a baseball inning but I'm also entitled to assume other people may have a different opinion and mis-interpret the question, as I did, to be referring to cricket. As such, I decided it reasonable for anyone to change their answer to a "baseball" question.

I agree with your comment that a team could complete an innings without losing a wicket which is one of a number of scenareos as to why I couldn't understand this question. When posting the "Test" I was certainly interested in knowing how this question would be answered which eventually shed light on me that the question was referring to baseball.

udosuk wrote:"..In your initial post (top of the page) you wrote 16 sheep. Now you say 17?

You are correct and I apologize for this error. The "Test" questions emailed to me, which I copied and pasted from the screen shot, reads 16 sheep whilst the screen shot of the "Answer Key" page, which I also copied and pasted from the source, reads 17 sheep.

udosuk wrote:"Depends, if it's a casual posting then mis-spelling is very usual (like those from you & me)... But I suspect this list is extracted from a published book (those questions are all very familiar), in that case it could have already been well proof-read by the editor... If it's being transferred/forwarded many many times then mis-spellings should be even rarer as any intermediate party would have corrected them..."

Yes.. this seems a reasonable assumption but there are exceptions, as I experienced (embarressingly) in this case where, to my surprize, the two pages (question and answer sheets) differed as to the number of sheep. To be honest it didn't even enter my head to proof-read the two sheets which both included the "same" questions which I naturally assumed would both be correct. I'm more than happy to email the two pages if I had a forwarding email address.

udosuk wrote:"Beside mis-spelling, mis-quoting somebody's user name is considered not very polite IMHO]..."

Yes, I agree udosuk and I apologize for mis-spelling your user-name. I always try to be careful and at 2am my thinking wasn't the best in trying to post these answers last night.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:21 pm

MCC wrote:The 17th sheep is the black sheep of the family and was never spoken of.

His name must be "Baa Baa"...:D

Cec, your apology is accepted, seeing you also have words like "embarressingly" and "surprize" in your post... BTW they said it should be "misspelling" instead of "mis-spelling"... I'm glad it wasn't "missspelling"...:D
udosuk

Postby MCC » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Did you know - that besides being called a flock of sheep they can also be called a mob of sheep. Not many people know that.

Mob:D

MCC
MCC

Postby Cec » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:15 am

udosuk wrote:
Cec wrote:(d) I suspect Keith's answer of "1" assumed, as I did, that the question related to the innings of a cricket match - I initially answered "1" also but didn't know the rules of baseball. Keith of course had the option of reconsidering his answer as was suggested by me earlier.

Even for an innings in a cricket match, there could be 0 out (winning by 10 wickets)... But I maintain that it's a baseball inning not a cricket innings...

Cec wrote:
udosuk wrote:9 living sheep are left. But if you count dead ones then 16 are left...

Yes..the question is ambiguous but where's the 17th sheep?
edited by Cec for spelling correction 7.15pm 15th July

In your initial post (top of the page) you wrote 16 sheep. Now you say 17?

Cec wrote:
udosuk wrote:About (d), in cricket we use "innings", in baseball we use "inning". Since the question specifically mentioned "inning" I think it's pretty clear baseball is the sport talked about...

Yes, I eventually acknowledged that baseball was the implied question but, as mis-spelling is not unusual, both in the forum and in other external posts, I did have initial reservations IMHO...
edited by Cec for spelling correction 7.15pm 15th July.

Depends, if it's a casual posting then mis-spelling is very usual (like those from you & me)... But I suspect this list is extracted from a published book (those questions are all very familiar), in that case it could have already been well proof-read by the editor... If it's being transferred/forwarded many many times then mis-spellings should be even rarer as any intermediate party would have corrected them...

Cec wrote:
underquark wrote:"If (d) refers to life as in "had a good innings".....

This won't get past usoduk:)

Yes, unless there is also an idiom saying "I had a good inning (life)"...

Beside mis-spelling, mis-quoting somebody's user name is considered not very polite IMHO... My user name is udosuk (pronounced "U-doh-soak") not usoduk (you saw a duck?)... At least you didn't quote me as udosuck like someone else...
Cec

Postby harismotiwala » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

I just figured out the last one and you have to add another.
We do use "penny" more often than "one cent".
While "whilst" we're on this subject, I recently found a coin that looked almost exactly like one of our "dimes" (ten cent piece) next to one of those coin exchanging machines at a super market here. I suppose the machine rejected it since it was a bit thicker than a dime. I've been using it as a ball marker at golf, but it hasn't helped my game much.
the coins has these markings:

1. Head of Queen Elizabeth on front
2. Crown and some leaves (possibly oak leaves) on back
3. Elizabeth II D G Reg F D 2000 on front
4. Five Pence 5 on rear.

I'm assuming I'm not rich by finding this, but is it worth approximately 10 cents US?

By the way, the coin exchanging machines charge almost 10% for exchanging the coins.
harismotiwala

Previous

Return to Coffee bar