How seriously do you take Sudoku?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

How seriously do you take Sudoku?

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:31 pm

I'd just like to know how Sudoku fits into everybody's life.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:22 am

I voted but I'm not saying which one is mine.
emm

Postby Heuresement » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:09 pm

I voted too. Though I take solving the puzzles and getting the answers seriously, the level of game is also important. Truthfully I am only happy with my playing when solving at least a Pappacom hard or equivalent. Anything less now doesn't cut the mustard,

My real problem is not how seriously I take it, but how seriously other people take me doing it. For the last two months, I have kept mostly to only doing one puzzle per day, even on weekends/holidays, so as not to overlap too much with the rest of my life.

Fortunately there are other people who can understand this:)
Heuresement

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:38 pm

You see, this is what I wanted to know.

I do one puzzle a day and I'm not at all happy since it's the easy level that I'm doing. I had gotten all the way up to Pappocom Fiendish (and in 35 mins, a world record for me) but I'm back down to Nikoli easy. Anything above that and I'm lost. I comfort myself, however, that certain circumstances in my life - I won't bore you with these - have ensured that I'm back to easy level and look forward to eventually working my way back up to at least the aforementioned Fiendish, if not harder when said circumstances no longer are pertinent.

I was wondering if it was just me that gets like this, so thanks for your replies.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby jf27 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:04 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:I had gotten all the way up to Pappocom Fiendish (and in 35 mins, a world record for me) but I'm back down to Nikoli easy. Anything above that and I'm lost.

That surprises me, Luna -- I thought Sudoku solving was a skill which once acquired was never lost, like swimming or riding a bike, but your case seems to prove otherwise. Best wishes for getting back up to scratch:)

John F.
jf27

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm

It is, you can always solve an easy one!

It may well be just me, I haven't actually tried anything more than easy for about 2 months now, I could very well be Fiendish level and not even know it.

I'm currently working on a Hard one that was sent to me. Every now and then I pick it up, I should really sit down an concentrate on it.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Rogue » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:29 pm

A few a day for me, usually during a break at work. I don’t play over the weekends though, so I figure I’m in the middle. I don’t like not being able to solve any that I find though. Brain cramps happen though. I found that Shogun Sudoku from the Times yesterday, and finished that one up this morning. That’s how I found this web wite, searching for another Shogun Sudoku which brought up a forum post from this site.

I probably haven’t found as many web sites with Sudoku puzzles, but the best one I’ve played so far is http://www.websudoku.com/. Different difficulty levels, ability to enter up to 5 place holder numbers per box, and it’s keeps your average and best completion times for each difficulty level. It also fits a normal 9x9 all on one screen, unlike the Times site. The Times site also only lets you enter 3 place holder numbers per box, and once you place a “permanent” number, you can’t undo it back to place holders.
Rogue

Re: How seriously do you take Sudoku?

Postby Cec » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:25 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:I'd just like to know how Sudoku fits into everybody's life.

I was curious too which is probably why I voted. What surprized me is why only 14 of the 269 views voted. Now I'm curious why this should be?

Cec
Cec

Postby CathyW » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:45 am

Some of the views must be repeats but I guess some players aren't willing to admit that they're addicted to these puzzles:)
CathyW

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Rogue,

TN_Mike wrote:The Times won't be publishing one next week, or for the foreseeable future (it does take up a lot of space) but we do have two available at http://sudoku.top-notch.co.uk, and more are on the way. And while we're not doing gattai-59s yet, we do have something a little bigger than the Shogun. We're calling this, rather inevitably, the Sumo. We also have some two-grid merged sudokus - I recommend these (the true runts of gattai sudoku!) for picking up the techniques of merged grids.

Samurai sudoku are sometimes referred to as Gattai-5, so for more shotgun sudoku puzzles you could try searching for Gattai-11. Otherwise check out Mike's Top Notch site above.:D
Crazy Girl

Postby Rogue » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Sweet! I tried that top-notch link yesterday, but it just gave me an html error. It works today. And there's an even uglier looking form of sudoku there - the Sumo.

Thanks Crazy Girl. (meant as an honest thank you, and not as sarcasm for helping me find the Sumo puzzle, where I shall proceed to addictively waste another 8 hours)
Rogue

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:59 pm

Rogue,

Glad to be of help,

Let us know your thoughts on the sumo sudoku....:)
Crazy Girl

Postby LauraU » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:23 am

It's fun! I'm not really _addicted_ to it (at least not yet), but I do enjoy it very much.
LauraU

Postby Pi » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:24 pm

I went for moderateley even though i do the two sudoku's and the killer every day in the times before going to school.

It is only for fun though.

Only thing i take seriously is the time it takes. lol
Pi

Postby Larsanna » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:05 pm

It's a game, and like all games it's meant for fun and not serious business.

Greetings,
Larsanna:)
Larsanna

Return to Coffee bar