how do I post with aligned numbers and grid

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Postby flybriguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi,

I am trying to post a puzzle but whenever I go to preview my layout (using the Code tags) everything comes out uneven. I've tried both originally laying it out in a text editing program as well as typing out in the box itself.

brian
flybriguy

Postby Glyn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:08 pm

flybriguyWelcome to the forum.
This link should provide you with the information you need to post your grids.How to ask for help
Glyn

Postby flybriguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:33 pm

thanks for the reply Glyn but I'm afraid I'm still not able to get a straight aligned grid. I've originally made the composition in Microsft Word using the Courier font but after paste it in then Preview it it doesn't appear the same and goes of of whack. Any ideas anyone?

brian
flybriguy

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:40 pm

If it is aligned in Word using Courier, and enclosed in the [code] - [/code] tags, then it should appear correctly in the final version after you post it. It may, however, be kattywompus on the screen provided for you to type your post initially. If so, don't try to correct it there -- just rely on the alignment as you saw it in Word.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby flybriguy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 am

thanks Bill . . . well I went out on a limb and posted something as you said but it actually ended up appearing as it did in preview, all "kattywompus." Don't know what else . . . perhaps because I am on a mac system using word?
flybriguy

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:37 pm

It's not clear what went wrong for you, but try this on for size..

Download a program like Simple Sudoku. Input your grid. Copy it. Once in the forum, hit the Code tag, paste the grid, and hit the code tag again. Bada bing, it's poifection.

As you've discovered, what you see in preview is what you'll see in the forum. You should be able to experiment all you want as long as you don't hit "Submit." I've sometimes wished the options included "Cancel" to go with Preview and Submit.

As always,
Knife Salesman
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby Smythe Dakota » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Luke451 wrote:.... I've sometimes wished the options included "Cancel" to go with Preview and Submit. ....

Me too, but you can accomplish essentially the same thing by simply using the back-arrow button (top left corner of screen) to return to whatever you were looking at before.

Using Word and Courier, you should avoid special characters (those with ASCII codes above 126). For the grid, for example, just use the typable vertical bar character (shift-backslash), the hyphen, and/or the underscore. Characters with high ASCII codes are not monospace, even in Courier.

And, as pointed out, the Preview will look exactly like the Submitted version, so don't try to change anything at that point. Cut and paste from Word into the Preview, then immediately Submit without making any adjustments.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby flybriguy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm

thanks for the Simple Sudoku suggestion. I'll try that option next time i have an unsolved puzzle to upload.

cheers!
flybriguy

Postby Pat » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 am

flybriguy wrote:I've originally made the composition in Microsft Word using the Courier font but after paste it in then Preview it it doesn't appear the same and goes of of whack.

you used Word
but got your stuff aligned with Tabs
    avoid Tab !!
    use only blank spaces to align
Pat

Postby Cec » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:52 am

Luke451 wrote:".... You should be able to experiment all you want as long as you don't hit "Submit." I've sometimes wished the options included "Cancel" to go with Preview and Submit"

Whilst hitting "Submit" does post to the forum, it is possible for a member to alter their post simply by hitting the edit button (appears at the top right hand corner of their post) and resubmitting to the forum with a note of the time such changes were made.

A member can also delete a post provided this choice is initiated by that member prior to a subsequent post being submitted by any member. When cancelling a post, it is usual for the member to submit a "follow up" post indicating the time of such cancellation.

Cec
Cec

Return to Forum questions and feedback