HoDoKu

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Postby hobiwan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 pm

wintder wrote:The sashimi swordfish have only half the available eliminations listed.
I tried versions 1.0 and 1.1.

These sashimi swords should be eliminating like a skyscraper, in fact I mentally call this pattern a sky-sword.

Thanks!

daj95376 would probably call them Siamese Sashimi Swordfish. HoDoKu currently doesnt support dual forms like that (or equivalents with skyscrapers...). Its on my list but not with very high priority (the eliminations should all be found anyway, only with two steps instead of one).
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby wintder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm

OK, Rudd does sashimi x-wings differently than he does skyscrapers, I'm used to doing the extra manually. It just seems as though every time I think, why was that side considered the pattern rather than the other ?
wintder

Postby hobiwan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Its not that great a change, Ill try to get it into v1.2 together with the other "duals".
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby wintder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 am

Thanks!
wintder

Postby StrmCkr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:16 pm

can you add in a sort by type option:

when looking at the alternative solutions.?
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby hobiwan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:05 pm

StrmCkr wrote:can you add in a sort by type option:

when looking at the alternative solutions.?

I already thought about that (with the grouped chains/AIC updates in v1.1 it gets really messy). I will rework the "find all steps" panel for the next version.
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby StrmCkr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:47 pm

how about a drag and drop option for easier

re orginzing solving steps:

{along with the up/down buttons that are currently the only way to move things around.}
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby hobiwan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

StrmCkr wrote:how about a drag and drop option for easier

re orginzing solving steps:

{along with the up/down buttons that are currently the only way to move things around.}

I've never done drag and drop in Java, I'll have to look into this.
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby StrmCkr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:48 am

Code: Select all
can you add in a sort by type option:

sort by eliminated cell

and sort by technique
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Re: HoDoKu

Postby daj95376 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm

hobiwan wrote:It is called HoDoKu, written in Java/Swing (JRE 1.6 or greater) and should therefore run on any OS that is supported by Java (tested on Windows and Linux - Ubuntu/GTK+LAF).

Windows 98 & Windows ME are only supported through JRE 1.5 . Your program won't work on them.

I wish that I'd read this thread before downloading your program from a link in another thread. I have a dial-up modem and it took over two hours to get your program and JRE 1.6 onto my Win XP computer. Then, I couldn't decipher how to get it to run in analyze mode, so I dumped everything. You might put some form of rudimentary operating instructions into the Help facility.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:54 pm

hobiwan wrote:
wintder wrote:The sashimi swordfish have only half the available eliminations listed.
I tried versions 1.0 and 1.1.

These sashimi swords should be eliminating like a skyscraper, in fact I mentally call this pattern a sky-sword.

Thanks!

daj95376 would probably call them Siamese Sashimi Swordfish.

Yes I would, but only for fun!:D

I would not expect anyone to implement them. Heck, I even implement skyscrapers as two Sashimi X-Wings.

Since I don't implement X-Chain, I use finned Franken X-Wing to find an ER (including 2-cell variant), and a subset of finned mutant X-Wing for 2-String Kite.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby hobiwan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:58 pm

daj95376 wrote:Windows 98 & Windows ME are only supported through JRE 1.5 . Your program won't work on them.

Yes unfortunately not. The problem is that I use the (relatively) new GUI editor in Netbeans which in turn uses GroupLayout and GroupLayout is only available with v1.6 or higher. Supporting v1.5 would have meant to figure out a way how to bundle an additional library into HoDoKu's jar file.

daj95376 wrote:I wish that I'd read this thread before downloading your program from a link in another thread. I have a dial-up modem and it took over two hours to get your program and JRE 1.6 onto my Win XP computer. Then, I couldn't decipher how to get it to run in analyze mode, so I dumped everything. You might put some form of rudimentary operating instructions into the Help facility.

I am very sorry if I caused you inconvenience! I am currently writing a user manual which should be available online in one or two weeks. Meanwhile if you could tell me what you want to do I could try to help.

daj95376 wrote:Yes I would, but only for fun!:D

I would not expect anyone to implement them. Heck, I even implement skyscrapers as two Sashimi X-Wings.

All my search methods return all instances of a step so implementing duals (hopefully) is only a matter of going through those steps and relabeling some of them.
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

Postby daj95376 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:29 am

hobiwan wrote:I am very sorry if I caused you inconvenience! I am currently writing a user manual which should be available online in one or two weeks. Meanwhile if you could tell me what you want to do I could try to help.

No need to be sorry. It was my own frustration that caused me the excess work of restoring your program and JRE 1.6 on my Win XP system.

Today, I managed to understand your interface enough to do most of what I'd like done. I must admit that the distinction between Enter Game and Play Game are a mystery after I've entered a game.

All my search methods return all instances of a step so implementing duals (hopefully) is only a matter of going through those steps and relabeling some of them.

This probably isn't relative to your solver, but I tend to distinguish between Sashimi X-Wing and Skyscraper by the number of boxes where eliminations occur. Thus, I think of a Skyscraper as a dual for two overlapping Sashimi X-Wings with eliminations in two boxes.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby StrmCkr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 am

Thus, I think of a Skyscraper as a dual for two overlapping Sashimi X-Wings with eliminations in two boxes.

skyscrapers elliminations..

i search of them by two active rows spaning 4 boxes.
with 1 strong link on a columns.
endpoints in same stack/bank
eliminations are in the columns that sees the oposit endpoints..

=n <>x

Code: Select all
x------N---x  (R1)
|      N
|      N
|
X------X---N (R4)
           N
           N 
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby hobiwan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 am

daj95376 wrote:I must admit that the distinction between Enter Game and Play Game are a mystery after I've entered a game.

Any suggestions for a better choice of words?
hobiwan
2012 Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Software