Hints

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Hints

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:24 pm

I'm sure that there will be a perfectly good reason for the hints being as they are but I was wondering, is it at all possible for the program to give the next logical move (as far as the software ascertains that to be, obviously we all solve differently) and, perhaps, something of a small explanation as to why it made that move?

Or, explain why the completely random number that it chose went where it went (if you see what I mean!)?

I had occasion to ask for a hint for a dubbed puzzle and couldn't figure out why the number given was placed where the program chose to place it (and, somewhat obssessively, I need to know why it went there). In a mouse-pointer over the number type of way eg "placed here because ..........row, column,...........logic dictates....... etc"

Thanks

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Re: Hints

Postby MCC » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:...explain why the completely random number that it chose went where it went (if you see what I mean!)?

Thanks

Luna

Oh well, that's the end of Chaos theory, or it will be if someone answers this question.
MCC

Postby emm » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:50 am

I don't know much about the chaos theory, but I do know a hint when I see one and I agree with Luna - Pappacom's aren't. A true hint should be a pointer in a direction not the answer, especially when no explanation is provided. Pappacom's hints are like Simple Sudokus 'solve next step' and Sussers ' deduce one move' which at least provide a reason. Unless you've memorised the Pappacom grid you may not even remember what was in the cell before the clue was given and you can't remove it to go back one step and figure it out.... ergo I never use them on this program.
emm

Postby MCC » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:27 pm

I agree with you em, a hint should refer to the next logical step not a number plucked out of thin air.
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:38 pm

em wrote:.... ergo I never use them on this program.

It's the first time that I've ever done it. I should have just posted on this here Forum and asked for a hint but I wanted to check and see that the puzzle was valid first and having typed it once I really couldn't be bothered to retype it.

Solved it eventually, and by hand, so I did figure out where that particular number came from in the end.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Forum questions and feedback