freeze during play

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

freeze during play

Postby jpparks » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:49 pm

I frequently play in the evening whiile I have outlook open that chat checks for mail every 10 min. Otherwise only the antivirus and firewall are open. typically after 30 min. or so the program seems to freeze, I cannot enter numbers but see them gray rather than go white as they do when selected and ready to enter. This is using WinXP with all updates. I can toggle back to outlook which works, but esc to pause, nothing works in sudoku. I have had the same experience when I have played on a win 2K computer elsewhere. If I close other programs I can usually get things to work again, but I have plenty of resources available, usually 90% resources shown, and have 512 mem on both computers. Any ideas?
jpparks

Postby Son of Pappocom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi jpparks,

The first thing I'd do is verify the "big three", two of which you mention you have covered:

- you have all “urgent” Windows Updates installed
- your computer is virus free (using an antivirus program like Norton or McAfee)
- your computer is spyware free (using an antispyware program like Spybot or Ad-Aware)

Might sound like an odd question, but is it possible that you're click both right and left mouse buttons at the same time?

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

freeze during play

Postby jpparks » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm

yes all critcal and non-critical updates for windows and for other Office 2003 programs are on both computer. Anti-virus (NAV one place and Zone Alarm the other) are updated daily. Zonealarm firewall is on both, scans are done daily. Does Sodoku use a lot of resources when open, even if not on line with it? I do not utilize score posting at all or keep dialog to the web site open when playing. I manage computers and wired and wireless networks so do not fee too in the dark, but have not seen anything obvious on this one other than closing Outlook sometimes clears it.
jpparks

freeze during play

Postby jpparks » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:51 pm

And yes zone alarm on one computer, microsoft antispyware on the other block and clean spyware, scan daily.
jpparks

Postby Son of Pappocom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Hi jpparks,

Sudoku doesn't use anything when not open -- there's no thread that goes in the background, or anything. It doesn't use an internet connection at all, after installation.

The next time you have a Sudoku session, could you try this?

1. Reboot your computer
2. When booted up, run Sudoku only -- no other programs
3. Play for as long as it would take to notice the problem under normal circumstances

...and we'll see if it shows up.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby jpparks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks. I will. It has not happened to me for a few days so it may be possible that I have occassionally hit both mouse buttons as asked. One computer is a touch pad and the other an optical mouse so I am not likely to do it one both, especially the optical mouse. I will let you know if I get any additional data to sort it out.
jpparks

Return to Forum questions and feedback