"First unread post" seems broken

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

"First unread post" seems broken

Postby dobrichev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Jason,

Recently clicking on "first unread post" at the top right of the page jumps to the main page.
The link, regardless of the topic, is http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/#unread.

Surely this worked before, maybe a week ago.
I didn't do any visualization changes in my profile, everything is left default.
Of course I am logged in.

A different but related issue is that the small clickable rectangle Image "Read first unread post" shown left to the topic title when displaying the list of the topics, is too small and difficult to click on mobile devices.
Could you enlarge it, say twice? (or only enlarge the clickable area preserving the exterior?)

Thanks,
MD
dobrichev
2016 Supporter

Re: "First unread post" seems broken

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am

The "first unread post" feature has never worked properly on this forum, nor on this forum's competitor and compatriot, the Sudoku Solvers forum.

Thus, it appears to be an issue with the specific version of phpBB used by both of these forums. There is probably nothing that the managers of either of these forums can do about it, without help from the creators of phpBB.

"First unread post" seems to work only if there are 16 or more posts (i.e. 2 or more pages of posts) in the topic. If there are 15 or fewer posts (i.e. just one page), it just jumps back to the previous page, where the user had just come from to begin with.

I'm not sure what happens if there are 16 or more posts, but the "first unread" happens to be in the first 15.

On the U.S. Chess forums (www.uschess.org/forums), the feature works properly. They actually use an older version of phpBB. Nicer colors, too -- I don't know whether that's due to the version being older, or because of something U.S. Chess did when they set up their forums.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to test the feature on U.S. Chess unless you are a member of U.S. Chess, which costs about $46 per year depending on the options you choose. You can, however, browse that site and read the forums, but you cannot make posts, nor use the "first unread" feature, without becoming a member.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby dobrichev » Wed May 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Thank you.

I checked that for multi-page topics the link works, as you said.
Looks like an old bug and not a degradation caused by a recent intervention.
dobrichev
2016 Supporter

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Yup.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Return to Forum questions and feedback