Famous Quotes

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Famous Quotes

Postby Chessmaster » Thu May 04, 2006 8:58 pm

Post some famous quotes that mean a lot to society or to you.

i would put Neil Armstrong "thats one small step for a man. one giant leap for a mankind."

these are the words that he said as he walked out on to the moon in 1969
Chessmaster

Postby Hud » Thu May 04, 2006 9:41 pm

Chessmaster, you've probably opened a can of worms with this topic. I actually was watching the first steps on the moon live. I tried to keep my then 6 year old daughter awake to see it, but I failed. If I recall correctly, it was around 11pm eastern time when I lived in Rochester NY.

I saw a good quote by Winston Churchill in the crosswords today:
"There is no good war"
Hud

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu May 04, 2006 9:45 pm

Oh, my favourite game.

Albert Einstein wrote:
    1 Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

2 Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Maya Angelou wrote:If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

Mark Twain wrote:It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Polonious wrote:from Hamlet Act I, Scene 3
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all- to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

McBeth wrote:from McBeth, Act I, Scene 7
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
    It were done quickly: if the assassination
    Could trammel up the consequence, and catch
    With his surcease success; that but this blow
    Might be the be-all and the end-all here,
    But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
    We'ld jump the life to come.

Edmunde Burke wrote:All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. (1729 - 1797)

Vidal Sassoon wrote:The only place where success comes before work is a dictionary.

Revenge is a dish best eaten cold - unknown

or
C. Lowe wrote: in Prince Bismarck (1885) : "He [Bismarck] had defended Olmutz, it is true, but ... with a secret resolution to 'eat the dish of his revenge cold instead of hot.'"

I'll bet you're glad you started this:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Pi » Thu May 04, 2006 10:20 pm

Ghandi:

An eye for an eye and the whole world would go blind
Pi

Postby Crazy Girl » Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 am

here are some of my favourite murrayisms
Murray Walker wrote:IF is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, IF is F1 spelled backwards.

I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

"Excuse me while I interrupt myself..."

The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.

A new take on the glass half full/half empty,
Murray Walker wrote:He can't decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed.

With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go.
Crazy Girl

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 07, 2006 12:46 pm

A reader's letter I found in (I think) the Daily Mail, sometime in 2004, which really touched me at the time, so I kept it.

All Hot Air

Our Nation is in a terrible condition, largely as a result of this and preceding governments' duplicity, mismanagement and incompetence. I thought the following story most apt.

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost, reduced his altitude and spotted a woman below.

'Excuse me,' he shouted, 'Can you help me? I promised a friend I'd meet him an hour ago but I don't know where I am.'

The woman replied: 'You're in a balloon 30ft above the ground, between 40 and 41 degrees North latitude, and 59 and 60 degrees West longitude.’

'You must be an engineer,' said the balloonist.

'I am,' replied the woman. 'How did you know?'

'Everything you told me is technically correct,' said the balloonist. 'But I've no idea what to make of it and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help.'

The woman responded: 'You must be a politician.'

'I am,' replied the balloonist. 'But how did you know?'

'You don't know where you are or where you're going,' said the woman 'You've risen to where you are on a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. You're in the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault.'

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Coffee bar