Error Message

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Error Message

Postby Steve J » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:07 pm

I'm having a similar trouble to one already experienced by someone on this site.

Access Violation at 0x00409727 (tried to read from 0x0000034C), program terminated.

With an 'OK' button.

I have been running a Dual monitor setup for some time now, and it has always worked with Sudoku before, so the question is what could be causing this?

This happens immeadiately that I try and start the program, I get no splash screen or anything else, just the error message. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, I've removed the mimarsinan directory, and reinstalled it, and still the error mesage.

Any thoughts.

Steve J[/img]
Steve J

Postby Pappocom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:37 am

Can you refer me to the specific topic you mean (when you say you are having similar trouble...)?

There is a known issue with dual monitors. It is an erratic problem, however. I had two different set-ups with dual monitors when I developed the program, and never had any problems. However, someone has since reported a problem. Could you try running on just one monitor and see if you can get Sudoku going? Thanks.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Steve J » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:22 am

Specific topic is: also known as 'access violation error'

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=552

I can try turning a monitor off sure, but would rather not as a long term solution as I'd have to do that by pulling cables from the card rather than doing it in software.

For reference:
Abit An7 Anthlon Xp 2000+
768Mb
6600GT (AGP) 77.72 nvidia drivers 3.29 expertool (gainward)

And I believe that sudoku has worked under this configuration before.

So the dual monitors may be a red herring.

Steve J
Steve J

Postby Pappocom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:37 am

Hello SteveJ. Thanks for the extra info. Unfortunately, nothing strikes a chord.

Can you temporarily adjust your dual monitor settings in software, through Control Panel? Perhaps, you could change which monitor is the primary device?

One thing is beginning to emerge about the handful of "unsolved" cases. The users all seem to have fairly high-end, modern systems. I wonder if owners of such systems tend to be running, say, a certain program (I don't know what - I'm just speculating) which causes a conflict of some kind.

In the meantime, I am sorry, I cannot help you. If a solution emerges, I will contact you.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Steve J » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:44 pm

The only thing that has changed over the last few days is that I have taken my video card back to an earlier driver and then reinstalled a new driver. Everything else has remained consistent.

Could it be nvidia based?

I can't think what else could be a common thread and have chnaged recently.

You might hear from me in the next few days if I find any more clues...

Steve J
Steve J

Postby Steve J » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:54 pm

OK, fixed it, might be handy to store for future reference.

It was the NVidia Drivers, or possibly just my instalation of them, I had been running 77.72 for a while and they were ok, but was having other issues, and so reverted them back to 69.XX, and then worked back to 77.72 which was when the trouble started. It also stopped Battlefield 2 from working (although I only just noticed this).

I've downgraded to 77.30 and that seems fine now.

If people are interested I can detail how I uninstalled them just in case it is of interest.

Steve J
Steve J

Postby Steve J » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:46 pm

Its back again, did nothing to my PC except leave it alone for a few days and now it doesn't work again, same error message as before, I was on the 77.30 drivers, have now updated to 77.77 (the new ones), and it still doesn't work.

Need help with this, its very annoying, and the girlfriend is getting annoyed too, hence it is more annoying for me.

Steve J
Steve J

Postby Pappocom » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:49 am

I still can't deliver a solution, I'm afraid.

However, the code in the Sudoku program clearly didn't change while you were not using the program. And Sudoku was working last time you used it. So it would tend to suggest that the problem is external to Sudoku - and maybe nothing to do with Sudoku, but Sudoku is just showing you the symptoms of some other problem?

Did anything (at all) happen to your computer between when you last used Sudoku successfully and when you went to re-use it and had this problem?

If you can identify the activity during that interval it may help pin down the cause.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Steve J » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:31 am

Don't know what has changed, but I do now know that if I turn off a piece of software called expertool (I think that I am on 3.29) from gainward it works.

Will try installing 3.32 and see if that makes a difference.

Might be worth asking anyone else if they are using it, its quite popular amongst non-gainward owners as it lets them control fan speeds and is not fussed about whose GFX card it works on, which sounds like a mid to high-end system feature that you were talking about earlier.

Steve J
Steve J

Return to Forum questions and feedback