enumerate the posts, search

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

enumerate the posts, search

Postby dukuso » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:34 am

enumerate the posts, so we can refer to a post-number and
others can find it.

When searching, display the post containing the matches,
not the thread. This doesn't help for long threads.
dukuso

Postby Pappocom » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:08 am

I think you are asking for improvements to phpbb, rather than Sudoku. I am not the developer for phpbb, only Sudoku.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Hamlette » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:42 pm

The posts on phpBB boards are already enumerated; the enumeration is just not visible. To the left of the word "Posted:" and the date, there is a little icon that looks like a piece of paper. If you drag your mouse cursor over that icon, and if your internet browser is set to display the web address you're about to link to, then you'll see the URL for that particular post at the bottom of your browser or wherever the URL is displayed. The last numbers will be the number of the post.

For instance, the number for the message that began this thread is #6216, and you can reach it via the URL http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?p=6216#p6216 from anywhere.

You can also locate a particular enumerated topic by dragging your cursor over the name of the thread. This particular thread is #1111, so you can reach it by linking to http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=1111

Rather than referring to the topic or message by number, it works best to type the URL into the message, either as I did above or by using the BBCode for it, like so: click to see earliest existing message on the board. That way people don't have to memorize the whole address just to get to the message. Call it netiquette, I guess.:)
Hamlette

Enumeration vs Subject

Postby LarryLACa » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Reply posts also include a Subject line, which is displayed with the reply.
Suggest: Use the Subject to focus replies.
Subject text will probably be more meaningful, but is obviously not guaranteed to be unique like enums.
LarryLACa

Return to Forum questions and feedback