Email notifications not being sent?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Email notifications not being sent?

Postby r.e.s. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Is anyone else finding that they are not being notified of new posts in threads, even though they have chosen "Notify me when a reply is posted"? (I also have "Always notify me of replies" enabled in my profile, but intermittently it just doesn't happen.)

For example, recently there was a whole page of responses in <this thread>, but I received no notifications after the first 4/13 response. (Also, at the bottom of the page there's this: "Stop watching this topic" -- so it seems clearly set to be notifying me.) The same thing happened recently in other threads as well.
r.e.s.

Postby Pi » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:59 am

That is true, i have experienced that.
Pi

Postby RW » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 am

I've experienced this a few times too, but found a logical explanation. The notifications are only posted for the first mail posted after your last visit. As I don't have the "Log me on automatically each visit" option enabled, I often only read the reply without logging on, then the site cannot know that I've been there and doesn't send me any more notifications until I've visited the thread as a logged on user.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:34 pm

RW wrote:.... I don't have the "Log me on automatically each visit" option enabled ....

That option doesn't work anyway, at least for me and at least one other poster. I suspect we're seeing two faces of the same bug.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby RW » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:That option doesn't work anyway, at least for me and at least one other poster. I suspect we're seeing two faces of the same bug.

If the automatic login doesn't work that's definitely a bug, but I don't think it's a bug that it only notifies the first post. Popular threads can get 10-20 replys in just one night, I wouldn't want to find a separate notification for each of them in the morning. I think this system should be kept as it is. If you want to be sure that you receive the notification, just log on every time you visit.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby r.e.s. » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

RW wrote:I've experienced this a few times too, but found a logical explanation. The notifications are only posted for the first mail posted after your last visit. As I don't have the "Log me on automatically each visit" option enabled, I often only read the reply without logging on, then the site cannot know that I've been there and doesn't send me any more notifications until I've visited the thread as a logged on user.

Thanks! I suspect that that is the explanation. And since I have "watch this topic" set, the rule is presumably "notify me upon the first reply after I log out (regardless of whether I post)". This will also encourage me to use the "Log out" button more often.:(

RW wrote:
Smythe Dakota wrote:That option doesn't work anyway, at least for me and at least one other poster. I suspect we're seeing two faces of the same bug.
If the automatic login doesn't work that's definitely a bug,

Indeed; I too have it enabled -- but it never works.

RW wrote:I think this system should be kept as it is.

As for the notification system, I'm now inclined to agree; the moral is ... Always log in (and out).
r.e.s.

Return to Coffee bar