Editing a post

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Editing a post

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:48 am

How long does one have after posting to make an edit without the whole world knowing? (Like: "Last edited by Joe WoopsIdiditagain on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:02 pm; edited 14 times in total.")

I've noticed that if the edit is made shortly after posting no notation is ever made public. If you made as many mistakes as I do you'd want to know this....:)
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:00 am

As long as nobody makes a newer post in the thread, the poster of the last post in a thread can edit as many time as he/she wants without any "Last edited" message appearing.

And this makes perfect sense because if say 2 members are engaged in a heated argument (which is quite often happening in this forum), one of them makes a fatal logical mistake in his/her statements, the other can attack that point and make the former look really stupid. If the 1st member then decides to come back and edit the original post to erase/correct those faulty statements, there is still proof that the post has been edited so the 2nd member can still claim the first poster as wrong. (In practice if you really want your enemy to look stupid you'd probably also want to explicitly quote his mistakes so that he can't do anything to hide them.:idea: )

So now that I've replied this thread, you can no longer edit your post above without people knowing! Not that there is anything wrong about your post though.:)
udosuk

Postby Pat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:13 am

udosuk wrote:---And this makes perfect sense---If the 1st member then decides to edit the original post to erase/correct those faulty statements, there is still proof that the post has been edited so the 2nd member can still claim the first poster as wrong.

yes it does make sense -- so, why are we allowed those early edits which are not flagged as edited??
    i.e. by the time i've posted my response, the matter has been edited away and i'm the one looking silly.

udosuk wrote:you'd probably also want to explicitly quote---so that he can't do anything to hide them

yes it is a good idea to quote the relevant text,
however it cannot constitute proof as the quoter can mis-quote
    (mis-quotification is a regular sin of mine)
Pat

Postby daj95376 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:08 am

Pat wrote:yes it does make sense -- so, why are we allowed those early edits which are not flagged as edited??
    i.e. by the time i've posted my response, the matter has been edited away and i'm the one looking silly.

Then you try to delete your post before someone adds a post behind it.

Then they will have a quote correcting your post ... AND ... your post won't be there any longer. This way, you've passed looking silly along to the next person.:D
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby tarek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:47 am

if a certain post was edited days after it was posted .... there is a chance of you seeing its previous state using google search cached pages:D

tarek
tarek

Return to Forum questions and feedback