dumb killer question

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

dumb killer question

Postby ab » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:45 pm

I solved my first killer puzzle yesterday, yay me! I only tried once before last weekend and made a mistake. Anyway I have a dumb newbie question. Can the cages have a candidate repeat? For instance you could have an L shaped cage of 3 cells each in one of 3 boxes with a sum of 8, say, could you have a 2 in one of the cells and 3s in the other two (the arms of the L)?
ab
ab

Postby Ruud » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:22 pm

When the publisher follows the Killer Convention, digits cannot repeat in the cages.

The major Killer websites (DJAPE, Times, Mepham, KillerSudokuOnline) follow this convention. I also use it for my weekly Assassins.
Ruud

Postby Chessmaster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:19 am

In everyone I have done you can't repeat numbers in cages.
Chessmaster

Postby HATMAN » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Standard killers do not allow repeats in cages. There was some confusion when Ms Miyuki Misawa’s concept was first brought into the English speaking domain. This confusion was cleared up by early 2006.

However earlier this year ZD came up with a variant idea which is basically "if a cage can have repeats it must have repeats". If you check out DJApe's website you can try them out .They are actually more restrictive than plain killers so are solvable with a smaller number of cages.
HATMAN

Return to Sudoku variants