Do you know these?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Do you know these?

Postby Cec » Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 am

I thought I'd put these three "teasers" under the one thread:

(a) Even if we never win the Olympics or get in the Guiness Book of Records, there is one record each of us holds at one point in our lives. What is it?

(b) A triangle has three sides, a rectangle has four, a hexagon has six and so on. How many sides has a circle?

(c) A donkey was tied to a 20-foot rope. How did it manage to eat a pile of hay 50 feet away without biting through the rope?

Cec
Cec

Re: Do you know these?

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 02, 2006 8:01 am

Cec wrote:(a) Even if we never win the Olympics or get in the Guiness Book of Records, there is one record each of us holds at one point in our lives. What is it?

Our birth

Cec wrote:(b) A triangle has three sides, a rectangle has four, a hexagon has six and so on. How many sides has a circle?

One

Cec wrote:(c) A donkey was tied to a 20-foot rope. How did it manage to eat a pile of hay 50 feet away without biting through the rope?

Somebody handed the hay to the donkey

Luna:D
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Tue May 02, 2006 8:22 am

Cec wrote:(a) Even if we never win the Olympics or get in the Guiness Book of Records, there is one record each of us holds at one point in our lives. What is it?

When we die, each of us holds the record of having lived the longest being ourselves.
Nobody else can hold that record.

Cec wrote:(b) A triangle has three sides, a rectangle has four, a hexagon has six and so on. How many sides has a circle?

Two. An inside and an outside.

Cec wrote:(c) A donkey was tied to a 20-foot rope. How did it manage to eat a pile of hay 50 feet away without biting through the rope?
Cec

The donkey may have been tied to the end of a 20-foot rope but the other end of the rope wasn't tied to anything.

MCC
MCC

Postby MCC » Tue May 02, 2006 8:47 am

Elephants are tall animals.

How do you get down off an elephant:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Cec » Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:"Our birth"

My "source" would suggest this answer is correct. At the precise moment we are borne, we are the youngest person in the world. I suspect this could be debated considering the total world population and the possibility of a simultaneous birth somewhere else.
MCC wrote:When we die, each of us holds the record of having lived the longest being ourselves.
Nobody else can hold that record.?

Hmm! I can see this is identical logic to the above so therefor also a correct answer. My "source" obviously needs to do more homework:)

Myself wrote:(b) A triangle has three sides, a rectangle has four, a hexagon has six and so on. How many sides has a circle?

I answered "one" the same as Luna which was not correct. The correct answer was "Two - inside and outside" as posted by MCC

MCC wrote:The donkey may have been tied to the end of a 20-foot rope but the other end of the rope wasn't tied to anything.

This was the correct answer given but considering also this answer from Luna
lunababy_moonchild wrote:Somebody handed the hay to the donkey

I'm leaning towards Luna's answer as being acceptable. It could be debated that unless someone picks up the pile (meaning the whole pile) then the donkey is eating the hay but not the pile of hay 50 feet away. Others can feel free to comment on this point if you wish.

In my posting these few "teasers" it's made me realize it is not easy to come up with the "right" wording of information to deduce just the one possible answer. Anyway, thanks for your replies and I've now got an "elephant" problem, courtesy of MCC, to try and answer.

Cec
Cec

Do you know these?

Postby Cec » Tue May 02, 2006 11:04 am

MCC wrote:"..How do you get down off an elephant:?: "

You don't. The elephant kneels down.
Cec
Cec

Postby Ruud » Tue May 02, 2006 12:26 pm

MCC wrote:How do you get down off an elephant?

I like the Legolas method. Takes some practice, though...

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 12:36 pm

How about the Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee method?:D

Kachaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:!:
udosuk

Postby Pappocom » Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 pm

MCC wrote:How do you get down off an elephant?

You don't. You get down off an eider-duck.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby MCC » Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 pm

One up for Wayne, well done.

Wayne does not normally respond to such a trivial post, but it does show you how hard it is to hold back when you definitely know the answer.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 2:54 pm

MCC wrote:

When we die, each of us holds the record of having lived the longest being ourselves.
Nobody else can hold that record.

On second thought, that doesn't make as much sense as first heard...

Surely when one dies there could be other alive people having lived longer as themselves...

If you meant "having lived the longest being that particular person" (e.g. Arnold Schwarzenegger), then you don't need the "when we die" condition... Each of us holds that record at any particular time... Just that when one dies that record will stay unbroken forever...

Any thoughts?:?:
udosuk

Do you know these?

Postby Cec » Tue May 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Three identical coins (heads/tails currency) are placed on a table. You are handed a pencil and a sheet of white paper and asked to draw a vertical line about 3 inches long on this sheet of paper. You are then asked to arrange these three coins so that two heads are to the right of the line and two tails are to the left of it. How is this done?

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 pm

udosuk

Postby tarek » Tue May 02, 2006 3:36 pm

In theory stacking 2 coins witch the face facing down on the line & the third on its edge on the line would also count as a correct answer.

Now, Making this easier...........

What if it was 2 & 1/2 heads to the right of the line, and 2 & 1/2 tails to the left ?:D

tarek
tarek

Postby Ruud » Tue May 02, 2006 3:51 pm

alternative answer for Cec's question:

Ruud

Next

Return to Coffee bar