Do you know about the "Magic Heart" things?

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Do you know about the "Magic Heart" things?

Postby melodyaya » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm

Hello, everyone
I am a student from HK and i am now doing a project of sudoku.
When i come across a Kokonotsu Supersudoku, the guideline states that "if we can find the "Magic Puzzle Heart", it will be much easier the solve it out".
So can anyone please tell me what is the meaning of "Magic Puzzle Heart" and how to find it?
Thank you very much! ^o^
melodyaya

Postby MCC » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:16 pm

This is the wrong forum for this topic, having said that I found this:

The Kokonotsu Puzzle

The nine letter word “Kokonotsu” in Japanese means simply “nine.” (The word is pronounced “kokonots” – coconuts – the “u” being silent) The puzzle consists of nine 3x3 boxes forming an 81-field matrix. The object is to place nine different objects in each of the nine 3x3 boxes, filling horizontal rows and vertical columns as well as the major diagonals, creating symmetry, harmony and completeness. Typically some numbers – two, three or four – are provided by the puzzlemaker in each nine-square box at the start. The more numbers provided the easier the puzzle.

KOKONOTSU SuperSudoku adds dimensions and challenges not found in ordinary sudoku. Puzzle players who’ve tried both don’t want to go back to “ordinary” sudoku. Generic sudoku puzzles only require the player to fill in rows, columns and 3X3 boxes. Kokonotsu adds a 4th and 5th dimension: the two diagonals and a hidden Magic Puzzle Heart (MagicNine) consisting also of nine numbers that clever players will find and use to help them solve the puzzle more quickly. Each solution to a Kokonotsu puzzle is practically unique. With the number of variations in the quadrillions there is virtually no chance of repetitions.

Sudoku puzzles originated in the 18th Century in Europe, they were known then as "Latin Squares.” In the USA the puzzle was called "Number Place," and from there it was introduced into Japan, as “sudoku,” in the 1980s by the publisher Nikoli Inc. loosing some of its symmetry, Sudoku is a made-up name, meaning single numbers that has become generic.

While sudoku and Kokonotsu are both great puzzles, I must point out that they are totally different in origin, philosophy and objective. Please do not misunderstand: Sudoku is an excellent puzzle, and people’s appetite for quick brain-teasers is again made evident by the tremendous instant success of sudoku in Britain and elsewhere. If it is just a puzzle one wants, then sudoku is great. However, for challenging puzzles that are FUN to solve, calling on one’s total powers of logic, reasoning and strategy, Kokonotsu dubbed the Super Sudoku Puzzle, cannot be surpassed.

At: http://www.kokonotus.info/Listing.html

It's not clear but I think that the extra dimension or Magic Puzzle Heart could be the nine center numbers of each 3x3 box.

MCC
MCC

Postby tso » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:43 pm

The website is actually: http://www.kokonotsu.info/

The "Magic Heart" refers to the central 9 cells. They will form a simple 3x3 magic square, like the one below or on of its 7 rotations and reflections:

Code: Select all
8 1 6
3 5 7
4 9 2

The puzzles are "Sudoku-X" -- using the diagonals as well. Here's one of the puzzles from the site:

Code: Select all

3 . 6 | . . 7 | . . .
 . . . | . 9 . | 5 6 2
 8 . . | . . . | . . .
-------+-------+------
 . . 9 | . . . | . 5 6
 7 . . | . . . | . . 8
 5 4 . | . . . | 1 . .
-------+-------+------
 . . . | . . . | . . 5
 2 7 5 | . 4 . | . . .
 . . . | 6 . . | 2 . 7

It can be solved as a Sudoku-X without using the additional information that the center forms a magic square. However, the two diagonals *must* be used to find the solution, so the magic square is merely extraneous information not required for the solution.
tso

abt magic heart puzzle solver

Postby hytechpro » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:54 am

hi fren,
well read abt ur magic heart puzzle solver technique but cldn't make out one thing...the one in respect of ur long diagonal...how does tht helps in crackin the sudoku puzzle ...cld u plz helpppppppp........be more elaborate
byeee n thnx
devs
hytechpro

Re: abt magic heart puzzle solver

Postby tso » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:05 am

hytechpro wrote:hi fren,
well read abt ur magic heart puzzle solver technique but cldn't make out one thing...the one in respect of ur long diagonal...how does tht helps in crackin the sudoku puzzle ...cld u plz helpppppppp........be more elaborate
byeee n thnx
devs

Can't tell who what you are asking or to whom you are asking it -- very difficult to parse -- did you spill your morning coffee on the keyboard?

Anywhozzle, these puzzles require that the rows, columns, boxs AND two diagonals contain the digits 1 to 9. If you ignore the diagonals, the puzzles are NOT solvable as they will have multiple solutions.
Last edited by tso on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tso

Postby melodyaya » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks very much
you've been a big help!!!
melodyaya

Return to Sudoku variants