Dion Cube Solving (unfair/invalid puzzles)

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Dion Cube Solving (unfair/invalid puzzles)

Postby Norb » Sat May 21, 2005 7:59 pm

I have got interested in Dion Cubes

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/images/Dion%20Cube.pdf

and have become so used to using your Sudoku program rather than pen and paper, I have the following suggestions to make:

1: regarding invalid puzzles, which each dion slice is, the ability to dub them - the fact that the program may not be able to uniquely solve a slice and hence provide error propting does not bother me as I always play to be eligible for HoF, so the absence of this would not bother me

2: As I have a lovely big screen I have enough area to tile 9 copies of the sudoku program, and hence use it as a workspace for a dion cube, but your program does not allow multiple instances.

I can see how the above 2 queries would allow for cheating, however, If it were possible to create multiple grids within the program, the use of multiple grids making HoF ineligibe, that may be a way round things

Alternatively you may consider an expansion that would allow the generation and solving of dion cubes, like you have with rectangles
Norb

Re: Dion Cube Solving (unfair/invalid puzzles)

Postby Norb » Sun May 22, 2005 3:12 am

Norb wrote:I have got interested in Dion Cubes

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/images/Dion%20Cube.pdf

and have become so used to using your Sudoku program rather than pen and paper, I have the following suggestions to make:

1: regarding invalid puzzles, which each dion slice is, the ability to dub them - the fact that the program may not be able to uniquely solve a slice and hence provide error propting does not bother me as I always play to be eligible for HoF, so the absence of this would not bother me

2: As I have a lovely big screen I have enough area to tile 9 copies of the sudoku program, and hence use it as a workspace for a dion cube, but your program does not allow multiple instances.

I can see how the above 2 queries would allow for cheating, however, If it were possible to create multiple grids within the program, the use of multiple grids making HoF ineligibe, that may be a way round things

Alternatively you may consider an expansion that would allow the generation and solving of dion cubes, like you have with rectangles

Having completed the dion cube puzzle above, I have found the pattern to be so repetitive as to detract from the solving, If a more random distribution for such a dion cube happens to be possible, it may be worth including my suggestions, if not, then it seems like a waste of your time!

Slice 1 as follows:
Code: Select all
+---+---+---+
|254|738|619|
|196|542|387|
|873|961|425|
+---+---+---+
|961|425|873|
|738|619|254|
|542|387|196|
+---+---+---+
|387|196|542|