Can you do it?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Can you do it?

Postby Cec » Mon May 01, 2006 12:58 pm

This trick can only be shown once in a group as you reveal the answer each time.

Lay a sheet of paper (A4 is OK) flat on a table and place a small can of beer or food (baked beans say) or even half a glass of water, on top of the paper (right in the middle)

Challenge anyone to remove the paper without touching the can (or glass).
Pulling the paper quickly as in the "dishes on the tablecloth" trick is not allowed.

How would you do it?

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Mon May 01, 2006 1:26 pm

The person challenged could ask a third person to lift the object first before removing the paper. The person challenged has therefore not touched the object.

MCC
MCC

Can you do it?

Postby Cec » Mon May 01, 2006 2:11 pm

MCC wrote:The person challenged could ask a third person to lift the object first ..."

Well thought out MCC but this was a surprize party with no time for prior arrangements. I can now see I should have made the challenge more difficult. So operating solely how would you do it.?

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Mon May 01, 2006 2:36 pm

I need sometime to consider this, but in the meantime, you cannot pull the paper quickly but can you pull it slowly:?:

MCC
MCC

Can you do it ?

Postby Cec » Mon May 01, 2006 3:00 pm

MCC wrote:".. but can you pull it slowly:?: "

It's not what I had in mind as a safe solution but Yes, the paper could be pulled slowly. However, I forgot to mention the trick is being performed in the host's lounge room where new carpet has just been laid and the beer can has just been opened. If your manouvre was able to be completed successfully then I guess you would receive applause from the guests - but what if you fail:(
I'm off to bed now and will reveal secret tomorrow.

Cec
Cec

Postby Ruud » Mon May 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Here is another approach, which will no doubt be invalid because of previously unmentioned restrictions:

Bend the paper loosely up on both sides of the can/glass. Lift the paper including the glass/can. Rotate the paper with just enough pressure not to let the glass/can slip out, but loose enough to make sure gravity keeps it upright.

With the paper sideways, return the can/glass on the table.

Wave the paper in triumph.

Collect your bet.

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby udosuk » Mon May 01, 2006 4:24 pm

I've got a more violent method...:!:

Just hit the table top hard with one hand and simultaneously pull the paper with the other... If you hit the table with the appropriate "force" the can/glass should jump ever so slightly (about 1 mm) allowing you just enough time to pull out the paper... Could have been some sort of martial arts drill to practice your force control & reflex & such...:)

But don't do it if it's your host's newly expensively brought delicate antique table...:D
udosuk

Postby MCC » Mon May 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Lay a pencil along one edge of the paper, curl the paper over the pencil and rotate the pencil, roll the pencil/paper towards the glass, slowly keep rotating the pencil/paper, which is now against the glass, pulling the paper out from under the glass.

MCC
MCC

Can you do it?

Postby Cec » Mon May 01, 2006 11:37 pm

MCC well done - you can now wave the paper in triumph and collect your bet.
udosuk's idea would really be a challenge. With practice, Ruud's suggestion might work with a can?. A glass of water, even half-full, would be much more difficult or even impossible, so I'm now thinking for future presentation that the challenge should only mention a glass of water to be placed on the paper. Thanks to all for the replies.

Cec
Cec

Postby Ruud » Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 am

Now the results are in...

here's an unconventional way to do it:

Drill 4 holes in the 4 sides of the table, and screw eye hooks into these holes.
Do the same with the ceiling, right above each of the 4 hooks.
Connect ropes to the ceiling hooks and run them through both hooks a couple of times.
Lift the table by pulling the loose end of the ropes.
When the can of beer almost touches the ceiling, put some fast drying glue on it.
Lift the table until the can touches the ceiling.
Wait for the glue to dry, now lower the table.

Take the paper an wave it in triumph.

Collect your bets.

So you ruined a perfect table and glued a can of beer to the ceiling. But who cares?

Run like hell.:D

Ruud.
Ruud

Can you do it

Postby Cec » Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 am

Ruud wrote:"....So you ruined a perfect table and glued a can of beer to the ceiling. But who cares?
Run like hell.:D "

Definitely unconventional but quite creative and funny:) I enjoy these "teasers" whether posting or trying to solve them - hope to have "Can you do it" (2)" or (?) sometime today.
Cec
Cec

Return to Coffee bar