Can someone help me solve these?? Please?! : )

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Can someone help me solve these?? Please?! : )

Postby haileymarie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:46 am

[b]Can someone please help me solve these?! I would really appreciate it : ) Thanks!! *xoxo*

- - 1 - 5 - 7 6 8
9 6 - - - 7 - - -
7 5 - - 6 - 4 - -
3 - 6 9 - - - - -
- - 9 1 - 5 8 - -
- - - - - 8 2 - 4
- - 4 - 9 - - 1 5
- - - 5 - - - 8 2
6 9 5 - 1 - 3 - -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- 4 - - - - - 6 -
- - 6 - 9 - 2 - -
1 - - 7 8 6 - - 4
6 - - 5 - 9 - - 8
- 5 8 - 7 - 9 3 -
9 - - 3 - 8 - - 7
8 - - 9 3 7 - - 5
- - 7 - 5 - 3 - -
- 1 - - - - - 4 -
haileymarie

Postby mrcl » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:00 am

mrcl

Postby QBasicMac » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:04 am

Hello, haileymarie!

Take your second puzzle and look at row three. You see 17864 with 4 digits missing, right?

They have to be 2359, right? OK - Remember that.

Now look at column 7. You see 293, right?

OK, therefore the cell at the intersection (we call it r3c7 for obvious reasons) cannot be any of those three digits. But you know it has to contain 2,3,5 or 9. Therefore, you know that cell must be a 5.

If you cannot understand my explanation that r3c7 is a 5, you can contact me by email and I will try to explain better.

If you understand it, then just keep looking around for other such finds. For example, after placing 5 in r3c7, you will be able to prove that r3c8=9.

Your two puzzles are classified as "easy", meaning all you have to do is continue with simple logic like above. You will find that this forum is more dedicated to complicated puzzles. Avoid such puzzles until you get bored with how easy the easy ones are.

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby wallaceyao » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:41 am

xoxo,
The solution for the two puzzles are:

431 259 768
962 487 153
758 361 429
386 924 571
249 175 836
517 638 294
824 793 615
173 546 982
695 812 347
and the other one is:

749 215 863
586 493 271
132 786 594
673 529 418
458 671 932
921 348 657
864 937 125
297 154 386
315 862 749

Any more hard ones?

Wallace Yao
wallaceyao

Postby Jeff » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:38 am

wallaceyao wrote:Any more hard ones?

But, how did you solve them?
Jeff

Help from a new user

Postby DonF » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:59 pm

One thing that helps me tremendously is to look at each row and column and to write down the set on numbers on each row or column that are missing, and I put these numbers to the side of each respective row and under each respective column.

I then examine a particular intersection of a row and column and look for numbers that are in each. If nothing else, this will allow me to greatly reduce the possibilities for each cell.

For example, at the intersection of a certain row, the set of missing numbers was 1,5,6,7,9 and the row set of missing numbers contained 2,4,5,8 I can deduce that the number belonging in the cell is a 5, since it is the only number common to each set. If you find that there are 2 numbers, you may be able to eliminate one if it is included in the same 3X3 section.

This is a relative simple task that makes sense to me, and is not so theoretical in nature.

But I have only played for about 4 days, so I know there are other tips I will eventually come across.
DonF

Re: Help from a new user

Postby Cec » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:28 pm

DonF wrote:"....But I have only played for about 4 days, so I know there are other tips I will eventually come across.

Hi Don,
I notice you included "help from a new user" when sending your post. There are plenty of tips to learn if you click on the following links:
http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php
http://sadmansoftware.com/sudoku/solvingtechniques.htm

Make sure you fully understand the basic techniques such as 'pairs', 'triples' etc.('naked' and 'hidden'), Locked Candidates 1 and 2, before you venture into the more advanced techniques (X-Wing, Swordfish, etc)

Cec
Last edited by Cec on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cec

Postby QBasicMac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:27 am

cecbevwr wrote:click on the following links

I realize most people (everyone except me?) like glitzy stuff that requires being online, etc.

But if the op is so brave as to try old techniques, he could go to www.sudoku.funurl.com

Go down to A SuDoku Tutorial and download that.

A nice start for a new SuDoku player, written in QBasic (the source is available at the bottom of the site)

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby Cec » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:50 am

QBasicMac"][quote="cecbevwr wrote: click on the following links

Like many others in this forum these links have become highly recommended, presumably not because they are "glitzy stuff" but because the various hints and solving techniques are clearly explained and, most importantly, they are free.

QBasicMac wrote:But if the op is so brave as to try old techniques, he could go to www.sudoku.funurl.com
Go down to A SuDoku Tutorial and download that.
Mac

In attempting to download this SuDoku Tutorial, I became uncertain as to a possible cost and did not proceed further. Is this a free download?

Cec
Cec

Postby QBasicMac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 pm

cecbevwr wrote:In attempting to download this SuDoku Tutorial, I became uncertain as to a possible cost and did not proceed further. Is this a free download?

Absolutely free.

Now my unrelated-to-Sudoku question: Have you ever incurred an unwanted cost by means of downloading software? I don't download much, so I am unaware of any method wherein I might suffer a possible cost. Any heads-up info would be appreciated.

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby Hud » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 am

Q, funny you asked that question. When Pappocom was recommended to me it was through PC World magazine. I accidentally signed up for a subscription when I thought it was for the download. At least I didn't give any credit info and was able to cancel even after getting 2 free installments.
Hud

Postby Pappocom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:17 am

Hello Hud. I think you have got me and my Sudoku program confused with someone and something else.

My Sudoku program (available here) does not operate on a subscription model, and you don't get "instalments". Mine is a once-only outright purchase of a stand-alone application for PCs.

I'm not familiar with a PC World recommendation, either (not that I read the magazine or website regularly), but maybe that was not for Pappocom, either?

- Wayne (Pappocom)
Pappocom

re: accidental subscription

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:05 am

Hud wrote:When Pappocom was recommended to me, it was through PC World magazine.
I accidentally signed up for a subscription,
when I thought it was for the software download.
At least I didn't give any credit info,
and was able to cancel even after getting 2 free installments.

Pappocom wrote:Hello Hud. I think you have got me and my Sudoku program confused with someone and something else.

My Sudoku program does not operate on a subscription model, and you don't get "installments". Mine is a once-only outright purchase of a stand-alone application for PCs.

I'm not familiar with a PC World recommendation, either (not that I read the magazine or website regularly), but maybe that was not for Pappocom, either?

- Wayne (Pappocom)

Pappocom,
Hud accidentally got a trial-subscription to PC World magazine.

- Pat
Pat

Postby rubylips » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:09 am

Pat,

How could you possibly have typed that without multiple use of the smiley?:D:D
rubylips

Postby Cec » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:02 pm

QBasicMac"][quote="cecbevwr wrote:In attempting to download this SuDoku Tutorial, I became uncertain as to a possible cost and did not proceed further. Is this a free download?

QBasicMac wrote:Absolutely free.
Have you ever incurred an unwanted cost by means of downloading software? I don't download much, so I am unaware of any method wherein I might suffer a possible cost. Any heads-up info would be appreciated.

Mac

Mac,
I'm not a computer wizard so bear with me in explaining why I asked my above question which you answered in the first two words of your reply viz. "Absolutely free".

I clicked on your suggested site www.sudoku.funurl.com then selected "A SuDoku Tutorial and then clicked on You can download it here. A "Win Zip" file opened up displaying various information, including the following, which caused me not to proceed further:
"Your valuation period has expired"
"Winzip is NOT free software".
"Buy Now"... "Use Evaluation Version"..."Only $29"

Being happy with both the Sudoku Solver program I have already downloaded and the solving techniques' links which I have mentioned above I decided not to proceed further with downloading your suggested Tutorial. I must stress this is not passing any judgement on your tutorial but merely explaining why I did not download it.

PS. Can't work out how to get the initial "Quote" to read correctly at the top of this post. Any help would be appreciated.

Cec
Cec

Next

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques