Can someone help me solve these?? Please?! : )

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Re: Help from a new user

Postby QBasicMac » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:15 pm

cecbevwr wrote:A "Win Zip" file opened up displaying various information, including the following, which caused me not to proceed further:
"Your valuation period has expired"
"Winzip is NOT free software".
"Buy Now"... "Use Evaluation Version"..."Only $29"

Evidently you have not clicked on any ZIP files before.:) I see people getting that display all the time. It is meant to annoy the user who, if annoyed enough, will sent the WinZIP people $29. But everyone simply ignores the display and clicks on "Use Evaluation Version".

What worries me is this: when I click on any download link anywhere, I get the following display
Code: Select all
You have chosen to download a file from this location
(filename) from (site)

What would you like to do with this file?
o Open this file from its current location
o Save this file to disk

Always ask before opening this type of file

{OK} {Cancel} {More Info}

It sounds like you have inadvertently disabled this display and instead automatically do "Open this file from its current location". That is a security problem. If you click on anything at any site which leads to an executable, then you will execute it immediately. The executable might be a Trojan Horse which can damage your system. Unfortunately, I am not a guru and cannot recommend how you fix that.

If it is working properly, you choose "Save this file to disk" and then you have it where you can do virus scans if you want. If you had done that with my program, you would have SSPTut.ZIP on your system somewhere. When you click on it, you get the WinZIP annoying message. Just select "Use evaluation version". You then have to figure out how WinZIP works. That is useful in itself, even if you eventually get my tutorial unzipped and conclude it is useless. (Remember, it is a tutorial for newbies only - it does not discuss any pencilmark technique, so don't expect to learn anything. It is for teaching others.

Mac
QBasicMac

re: smiley

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:16 pm

rubylips wrote:Pat, how could you possibly have typed that without multiple use of the smiley?

well, rubylips, i guess i'm sometimes too serious - sorry!

- Pat
Pat

re: download

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 pm

( QBasicMac beat me to it while i was composing the following--- )

cecbevwr wrote:
QBasicMac wrote:
cecbevwr wrote:In attempting to download this SuDoku Tutorial, I became uncertain as to a possible cost and did not proceed further. Is this a free download?

Absolutely free.

Have you ever incurred an unwanted cost by means of downloading software?
I don't download much, so I am unaware of any method wherein I might suffer a possible cost.
Any heads-up info would be appreciated.

I'm not a computer wizard, so bear with me in explaining why I asked my above question which you answered in the first two words of your reply viz. "Absolutely free".

I clicked on your suggested site ( www.sudoku.funurl.com ),
then under A SuDoku Tutorial
i clicked on You can download it here ( = network54.com/Realm/McLamore/SSPTut.zip ).

A "Win Zip" file opened up, displaying various information,
including the following, which caused me not to proceed further:
Your valuation period has expired
WinZip is NOT free software
Buy Now... Use Evaluation Version...Only $29

Being happy with both the Sudoku Solver program I have already downloaded and the solving techniques' links which I have mentioned above, I decided not to proceed further with downloading your suggested Tutorial.

I must stress this is not passing any judgement on your tutorial but merely explaining why I did not download it.

hi cecbevwr,

the suggested download (SuDoku Tutorial) employs WinZip,
which is indeed not free - you may use it for evaluation (for a limited time)
and then you'd be required to pay $29 or cease.
(same as with the Pappocom software.)

however, once you have installed the SuDoku Tutorial,
you will no longer need WinZip for using the Tutorial.

- Pat
Pat

Postby MCC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:08 pm

cecbevwr wrote:PS. Can't work out how to get the initial "Quote" to read correctly at the top of this post. Any help would be appreciated.

Cec

cec if you look at your post you'll find that there are four 'start quotes' and three 'end quotes', you'll need to add another 'end quote' i.e., [/quote] to resolve this. Or you'll can eliminate the first 'start quote'.

mcc
MCC

Postby Cec » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:53 am

QBasicMac wrote:Evidently you have not clicked on any ZIP files before.:) I see people getting that display all the time. It is meant to annoy the user who, if annoyed enough, will sent the WinZIP people $29. But everyone simply ignores the display and clicks on "Use Evaluation Version"....

Thank you Mac for the time you have taken (including your PM) to explain the operation of "Zip" files. Whilst I am now more enlightened due to your help, not "everyone simply ignores the display" as I have demonstrated above.
Cec
Pat wrote:( QBasicMac beat me to it while i was composing the following--- )
the suggested download (SuDoku Tutorial) employs WinZip,
which is indeed not free - you may use it for evaluation (for a limited time)
and then you'd be required to pay $29 or cease.
(same as with the Pappocom software.)

however, once you have installed the SuDoku Tutorial,
you will no longer need WinZip for using the Tutorial.

Thanks Pat for your above input which has also helped me understand the operation of the WinZip system. To those like myself who have been/are unfamiliar with this system, it's easy to see how the (unnecessary) payment of $29 could be made.
Cec
MCC wrote:cec if you look at your post you'll find that there are four 'start quotes' and three 'end quotes', you'll need to add another 'end quote' i.e."X" to resolve this. Or you'll can eliminate the first 'start quote'.

Thanks MCC. It can sometimes be hard to explain how these "quote" buttons work but you did well. In reproducing your above quotation I had to type an "X" to replace your [quote] button. See! I did understand your explanation:)
Cec
Cec

Previous

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques