"Board Attachment Quota" ????

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

"Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:40 am

I attached a PDF file of Kakuro puzzles to a post, that was fine.

Then tried a second, but it was over 256Kb so it got rejected.

So I put it into a ZIP file, but then got told the "Board Attachment Quota" was exceeded?

What the heck is that about? :?
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Leren » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am

If I were you I'd email Jason and ask him what the limits are. I think there is limit on the file size and it's not all that big. Leren
Leren

Postby Serg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi, Mathimagics!
I encountered similar "Large file attachment" problem years ago. See thread How to attach large file to the post.

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Serg!

The problem is not the file size. The problem is that I can not attach ANY file ANYWHERE.

I get this message:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

Can somebody else try to attach a file? That message sounds like some GLOBAL limit has been reached ("Board" presumably means "bulletin board", ie the forum)
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter

Postby Leren » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Mathemagics,

I've confirmed that a global board attachment quota has been reached (I tried to upload a small file about 20 kb) , although even before that, the maximum upload file size was 256 kb.

This is definitely something for Jason to address. I've just emailed him to alert him to the problem.

Leren
Leren

Postby blue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I deleted my old attachments.
It was only 9 of them, buy it might help, for now.
blue

Postby Mathimagics » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks, blue!

I got my Kakuro file attached.

I will perform a similar exercise (finding old and/or no-longer-required attachments and deleting them).
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter

Postby tarek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm

I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

[Edit] I looked into recent posts. I used to post linked images from external image sharing websites in the past however I’m uploading images lately. One way is is re-upload smaller versions of the current ones or go back to the old method. The problem with the old method (imageshack etc) is that if that site or image can disappear

Tarek
tarek

Postby blue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 pm

tarek wrote:I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

"User Control Panel / Overview / Manage Attachments"
blue

Postby tarek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 pm

blue wrote:
tarek wrote:I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

"User Control Panel / Overview / Manage Attachments"

Thanks
tarek

Postby Leren » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Meanwhile my forum email to Jason is still sitting in my outbox for some reason. Can some one tell me how to manually fire it off, or alternatively email Jason directly to alert him to the problem ?

I've also used blue's directions to delete some old attachments, but that seems to me to be only a temporary fix.

Leren
Leren

Postby m_b_metcalf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am

Leren wrote:Meanwhile my forum email to Jason is still sitting in my outbox for some reason. Can some one tell me how to manually fire it off, or alternatively email Jason directly to alert him to the problem ?
I've also used blue's directions to delete some old attachments, but that seems to me to be only a temporary fix.

I've also deleted three redundant files.
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby JasonLion » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:42 pm

I raised the quota. However, keep in mind that we are not a file sharing service. Anything even mildly large should be hosted somewhere else.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 pm

JasonLion wrote:I raised the quota. However, keep in mind that we are not a file sharing service. Anything even mildly large should be hosted somewhere else.

I recommend imgur. I've had an imgur account for 5 years now, and all of the images I post here and on Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver forum (most especially all of Ruud's specialty puzzles) are hosted on my imgur account.
enxio27

Postby tarek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

JasonLion wrote:I raised the quota. However, keep in mind that we are not a file sharing service. Anything even mildly large should be hosted somewhere else.

I suggest Posting a Sticky post/note in the "About the New Sudoku Players' Forum" or even in all the sections to highlight this. We should try if possible to hotlink posted files and images. If it is possible a text-representation of the puzzle is best or a combination of text and hotlinked image/file.

tarek
tarek

Return to Forum questions and feedback