"Board Attachment Quota" ????

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

"Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:40 am

.

I attached a PDF file of Kakuro puzzles to a post, that was fine.

Then tried a second, but it was over 256Kb so it got rejected.

So I put it into a ZIP file, but then got told the "Board Attachment Quota" was exceeded?

What the heck is that about? :?
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 27 May 2015

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Leren » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am

If I were you I'd email Jason and ask him what the limits are. I think there is limit on the file size and it's not all that big. Leren
Leren
 
Posts: 3315
Joined: 03 June 2012

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Serg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi, Mathimagics!
I encountered similar "Large file attachment" problem years ago. See thread How to attach large file to the post.

Serg
Serg
2018 Supporter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: 01 June 2010
Location: Russia

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Serg!

The problem is not the file size. The problem is that I can not attach ANY file ANYWHERE.

I get this message:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

Can somebody else try to attach a file? That message sounds like some GLOBAL limit has been reached ("Board" presumably means "bulletin board", ie the forum)
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 27 May 2015

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Leren » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Mathemagics,

I've confirmed that a global board attachment quota has been reached (I tried to upload a small file about 20 kb) , although even before that, the maximum upload file size was 256 kb.

This is definitely something for Jason to address. I've just emailed him to alert him to the problem.

Leren
Leren
 
Posts: 3315
Joined: 03 June 2012

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby blue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I deleted my old attachments.
It was only 9 of them, buy it might help, for now.
blue
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 11 March 2013

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Mathimagics » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks, blue!

I got my Kakuro file attached.

I will perform a similar exercise (finding old and/or no-longer-required attachments and deleting them).
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 27 May 2015

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby tarek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm

I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

[Edit] I looked into recent posts. I used to post linked images from external image sharing websites in the past however I’m uploading images lately. One way is is re-upload smaller versions of the current ones or go back to the old method. The problem with the old method (imageshack etc) is that if that site or image can disappear

Tarek
User avatar
tarek
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: 05 January 2006

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby blue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 pm

tarek wrote:I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

"User Control Panel / Overview / Manage Attachments"
blue
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 11 March 2013

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby tarek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 pm

blue wrote:
tarek wrote:I will also look for old attachments to delete potentially . Is there a way of finding them quickly or do you just look into your posts one by one?

"User Control Panel / Overview / Manage Attachments"


Thanks
User avatar
tarek
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: 05 January 2006

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby Leren » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Meanwhile my forum email to Jason is still sitting in my outbox for some reason. Can some one tell me how to manually fire it off, or alternatively email Jason directly to alert him to the problem ?

I've also used blue's directions to delete some old attachments, but that seems to me to be only a temporary fix.

Leren
Leren
 
Posts: 3315
Joined: 03 June 2012

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby m_b_metcalf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am

Leren wrote:Meanwhile my forum email to Jason is still sitting in my outbox for some reason. Can some one tell me how to manually fire it off, or alternatively email Jason directly to alert him to the problem ?
I've also used blue's directions to delete some old attachments, but that seems to me to be only a temporary fix.

I've also deleted three redundant files.
User avatar
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 9286
Joined: 15 May 2006
Location: Berlin

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby JasonLion » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:42 pm

I raised the quota. However, keep in mind that we are not a file sharing service. Anything even mildly large should be hosted somewhere else.
User avatar
JasonLion
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 25 October 2007
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA

Re: "Board Attachment Quota" ????

Postby enxio27 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 pm

JasonLion wrote:I raised the quota. However, keep in mind that we are not a file sharing service. Anything even mildly large should be hosted somewhere else.

I recommend imgur. I've had an imgur account for 5 years now, and all of the images I post here and on Richard Broughton's SudokuSolver forum (most especially all of Ruud's specialty puzzles) are hosted on my imgur account.
User avatar
enxio27
 
Posts: 467
Joined: 13 November 2007


Return to Forum questions and feedback