Battleship Sudoku!

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Battleship Sudoku!

Postby motris » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 pm

I've been thinking for awhile about ways to combine these two fun puzzle types - Battleships and Sudoku. I've come up with two variations that fit this theme (three examples of each) - basically differing in whether you consider "ships" to be black squares that do not contain digits, with ship segments distributed a fixed number of times in each row/column/box, or whether you just "number" all the segments in a standard 10-ship battleship fleet and then place them in a sudoku grid.

If you enjoy battleships puzzles, I think you will appreciate the challenge of these. They are posted here on my blog.

Thomas Snyder
motris

Postby Crazy Girl » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:32 pm

Had an email a couple of days ago from conceptis.com saying that they have also produced a new game involving battleships, but their puzzles do not have numbers in the grid, and only numbers on the right and bottom hand side.

What a coincidence that you both thought of the:idea:
Crazy Girl

Postby motris » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:24 pm

To be clear, as I read it too, the Conceptis email just meant they are now selling Battleships puzzles to the magazines they do business with and offering free battleships puzzles on their website to those who solve puzzles there. Battleships has been around for about 20 years and has been a mainstay at the World Puzzle Championships and GAMES Magazine for years.

Conceptis is really not making new puzzles, just mass marketing puzzles once they write computer software to make them. While they started out by selling Paint By Numbers puzzles, they quickly started selling sudoku and kakuro when those became popular. Now, they've decided to do Battleships as well.

This idea is very different. It is not a standard Battleships, it is a convergence of those puzzles with sudoku. It was written with the knowledge of both puzzle types to try to combine the logical steps used in both puzzles. If you have not solved Battleships puzzles before, then I recommend trying a couple out before you attempt my creations.
motris

Return to Sudoku variants