awesome NEW sudoku idea!!

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

awesome NEW sudoku idea!!

Postby shedoku » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:34 am

Hi everyone,
I love sudoku, am horribly addicted, and stay up way too late doing sudokus. Anyway, I designed a new style of sudoku (I think it's new b/c I haven't seen any others like it). It is really fun and adds another level of challenge. Instead of numbers in the sudoku grid, I have been using the symbols !@#$%^&*(

These symbols are on the numbered keys and it only takes a few minutes to redraw the sudoku puzzle with the symbols. I think this could be a new thing --using syboks is so much more fun! Try it! It makes you use more of your logic skills because it is harder

thanks for letting em share this. Everyone write back and let me know if you like it
Shedoku
shedoku

Postby RFB » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:59 am

You can also play with symbols by playing with letters and then changing the font to Symbol or Wingdings or other non-roman font.
You can also change the start at value to use different letters than A-I,
Press F2 to get to the Fonts appearance tab.
RFB

Postby Hammerite » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:35 pm

But that doesn't change the puzzle at all - it's exactly the same puzzle whatever set of 9 symbols you use. From a mathematical point of view, at least. If changing the symbols makes it less easy to get to grips with what you're doing, I would argue that's not a positive thing. (The positive thing about the digits 1 to 9 is that they have an intuitive order, which allows you to go about things systematically without having to think so hard.)
Hammerite

Postby shedoku » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:38 am

yeah, you're right, using symbols doesn't change the rules of the puzzle. It in in fact, still the same puzzle. The reason I like it is because using symbols probably makes more use of the R brain (these symbols are not part of our normal verbal language). Using numbers and letters is reliant on L brain function (most people have language on L side). Anyway, just trying to exercise other parts of my brain, while at the same time enjoying a little sudoku
shedoku

Return to Forum questions and feedback