Auto login no longer works

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Auto login no longer works

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 pm

Even though I have checked the option to "automatically log in with each visit", that option no longer works. Now I have to log in manually each time.

Does that have anything to do with the website crash of a few days ago?

Auto login still works on another, very similar, website (uschess.org/forums).

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby Son of Pappocom » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Bill,

It probably doesn't have anything to do with it, per se. Though the forum software was upgraded, that feature of phpBB likely didn't change at all. It may have logged you out as a result of the upgrade, but it shouldn't be refusing to keep you logged in.

Any issue regarding this will be cookie-based. It's up to your browser whether to keep the cookie around, so you may want to go into your browser's security settings and add sudoku.com as "trusted site" or somesuch.

Regards
Scott
Son of Pappocom

Postby Smythe Dakota » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:33 am

Son of Pappocom wrote:.... Any issue regarding this will be cookie-based. It's up to your browser whether to keep the cookie around, so you may want to go into your browser's security settings and add sudoku.com as "trusted site" or somesuch. ....

I don't think it could be anything like this. First of all, an entirely similar phpBB forum (www.uschess.org/forums) works fine. Second, the problem started only after the site crashed and was restored.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby Son of Pappocom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:32 pm

What I was getting that is that the feature still exists -- so it's not a direct result of the upgrade. It could well be that the cookie for the pre-upgrade forums is causing trouble, so try deleting your cookies/cache and let me know.
Son of Pappocom

Postby QBasicMac » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:43 pm

I have the same problem, and am sure many other's do.

I have deleted the cookies that say "sudoku". No help.

I have not cleared "cache". How to do that? What would that have to do with anything?

Frustrated.

Mac
QBasicMac

Postby QBasicMac » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:58 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:I don't think it could be anything like this. First of all, an entirely similar phpBB forum (www.uschess.org/forums) works fine.

Well, I finally got my login to work again. I found all folders that said "cookies" and deleted the sudoku ones. I use IE - I cleared the cache even though I don't know why that would affect anything. Then I logged off (WindowsNT) and logged on again. The login sticks now.

You may have to do something similar. This happened once before.

It seems this particular board has a bug whereby it's cookie is not updated properly after a crash. Like you, I note no problems with autologin on all sites of any kind except www.sudoku.com.

So it has a bug that nobody there knows how to find and fix. This means for people who have certain systems, like WindowsNT-IE, we have to delete the sudoku cookies after a www.sudoku.com crash.

Good luck. Would be interested in knowing what system you have.

Mac
QBasicMac

Return to Forum questions and feedback