Auto-Assign Singles

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Auto-Assign Singles

Postby Bob Stein - VisiBone » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:07 am

I think it might be fun to watch the game automatically fill in all singles. I've been playing a while now and it's getting boring to double-click through the tedious final steps. (I find I can click-enter-click-enter-... a little faster yet.) It's nice that the new version 4.1m boldifies the singles, but I'd like to go further.

This feature request reminds me of the feature in FreeCell that automatically makes the obvious moves for you -- at the end comes the fateful moment when you make the last non-obvious move, and a whole bunch of obvious moves fall in place very quickly and dramatically for a big zzzzzzzzzooom breathtaking finish!

Every once in a while I play a standard game as fast as I can, just for a mental break. It helps to get this kind of stimulation, plus it scratches some kind of itch. For me it would be more efficient AND fun to automate this most-tedious part. Optionally of course.
Last edited by Bob Stein - VisiBone on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stein - VisiBone

Postby Animator » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Comparing it with FreeCell is a bit wrong...

Why?

In Sudoku you might have a grid which you can solve by using only Signles (Very Easy, Easy maybe?)... When it would be automated then you can solve the puzzle without filling in a single cell...

In FreeCell this might happen aswell but the games included are filtered... Which probably assures that there is not a single combination in which it would be completly solved by this automatic system.

Implementing it for the Hard and Very Hard category might make a lot more sense... (to make sure you aren't looking for a complex move if an easy one is available)
Animator

Postby ihope127 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:57 pm

On Ye Olde Susser, it's only the Super Easy ones that can be solved with only forced moves.

Have it toggle-able.
ihope127

Postby tso » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:01 pm

Turbo Sudoku fills in "easy squares" (naked singles) from the menu. Additionally, it tints cells that contain hidden singles -- click on one and it is filled in. Don't know why he didn't give an option to have all these filled in from the menu as well.

Oh, and I don't know why we're still posting to the wishlist -- or why it hasn't been taken down. He hasn't implemented *any* suggestion regarding the software. Take a look at the revision history in the 14 months since it was first put out:

version 1.00.03 (March 14, 2005):
1. Added minor memory protection when Starting a branch.

version 1.00.02 (December 3, 2004):
1. Swapped the images on the Undo and the Redo buttons when using Thick bars. Functionality was already correct, but each button wrongly carried the other's image.
2. Allowed user's Name and Key data to appear in the About box, even though the user registered after the free trial version had expired.

version 1.00.01 (November 18, 2004):
1. Avoided a controlled exit which occurred when a user whose computer did not have a printer installed tried to view the Print dialog.

version 1.00 (October 15, 2004):
Original release.
tso

Postby Pappocom » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:44 pm

When you are only one person trying to handle a world-wide phenomenon, it's hard to get everything right.

January 1 brought a change in the arrangements at Pappocom and so January will mean I can start work on the wishlist. There should be at least one minor update (incorporating several items) by the end of January.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Hud » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:37 am

Wayne, when updates come out, how are we notified to download them? I assume email?
Hud

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:20 am

There will be a notification on these Forums.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby stocku » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Wayne

Thank you very much indeed for your recent kind words elsewhere in the forums. As you can see, I am up and about again now, if still a trifle unsteady on my feet!

Speaking not only for myself and my husband but also, I feel sure, for the vast majority of the c. five thousand registered members and the many more thousands of people who take an interest in the 'site and who enter the monthly competition for example, I believe that you have done an absolutely fantastic one-man job and that it is churlish to opine otherwise.

You would have had to have been a supreme optimist, nay foolhardy, to have even dreamt that interest in sudoku would explode globally in the way that it has, an interest for which great credit attaches to you personally. You have undeniably brought a new-found source of enjoyment into the lives of what must literally be millions of people and let no one ever take that thought away from you!

Neither Rome nor any other significant "edifice" was ever built in a day and I am confident that you will continue to bend your best efforts towards moving both sudoku.com and your other enterprises progressively forwards.

A very happy New Year to you and your family.
stocku

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Many thanks, stocku.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Return to Forum questions and feedback