Additional rule?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Bigtone53 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:56 am

"Pom' is a term colonials used to describe the English.

Not all colonials - just Australians, I think.

Certainly as a Brit, I have no problem being called a pommie b*st*rd. It is all part of the banter that goes on between the countries, often dealing with cricket and rugby. After all, it seems to be enshrined in the Australian legal system that every citizen has to spend time at some stage working behind a bar in London.
Bigtone53

Postby TKiel » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm

em,

It struck me this morning that even though I referred to the UK numerous times, I was actually thinking British Empire every time I used it. I'll go stand in the corner for a while.

Bigtone53's comments reminds me of the good natured back and forth that can occur between siblings.

Tracy
TKiel

Postby emm » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:12 am

I’m relieved that no-one is taking offence from all this banter. In that vein I’m not offended that Bigtone thinks that downunder means just Australia and Australians won’t be offended that Bigtone thinks they’re a small nuclear-free country!:D
emm

Postby TKiel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:39 am

Now, I don't feel so alone with my gaffe of trying the cram the entire British Commonwealth into the UK. Perhaps bigtone53 meant small, nuclear-free continent instead of small, nuclear-free country.

In the interest of expanding my geographical knowledge, is Austrailia more or less downunder that New Zealand?

Tracy
TKiel

Postby Bigtone53 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:53 am

In that vein I’m not offended that Bigtone thinks that downunder means just Australia

I did not think that I had mentioned downunder. In my limited experience, it is only Australians (and not Kiwis or other ex-colonials) who refer to us as Poms. I will check it out.
Bigtone53

Postby emm » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm

A little research in the pubs and bars of London should put you right, Bigtone!

'Downunderness' is an interesting concept, Tracy - in that regard Australia is definitely the lesser, on other matters I probably shouldn't comment. One thing I can say though is that they're incredibly hard to bait - might be all those pies and beer, they're in a state of semi-sedation like the Flopsy Bunnies on lettuce.:D
emm

Postby MCC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:36 pm

em wrote:all those pies and beer, they're in a state of semi-sedation like the Flopsy Bunnies on lettuce.:D

But not as healthy.

For edification only:
The white latex that seeps from a cut lettuce base has been used since Roman times to calm the nerves and promote sleep, there tends to be less latex in modern varieties of lettuce.

MCC
MCC

Postby Bigtone53 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:56 am

A little research in the pubs and bars of London should put you right, Bigtone!

So I did extensive research in London pubs but I have forgotten the answer

:D
Bigtone53

Postby emm » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:05 pm

You'll just have to go back then...:D
emm

Postby TKiel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:26 pm

In a perfect world, there would to be a foundation somewhere that would provide grant money for bigtone53 to conduct long term research on that project.

Tracy
TKiel

Previous

Return to Coffee bar