Access Violation Error

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Access Violation Error

Postby hkm » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi

I've been getting the Error msg:

Error: Access Violation at 0x00409727 (tried to read from 0x0000034C), program terminated.

I think it may be a soundcard issue not sure, reinstalled the latest drivers, no joy though.
If I turn off the SoundMax control panel in the taskbar I get this msg -

Error: Access Violation at 0x00409727 (tried to read from 0x17177603), program terminated.

Any ideas?

I did get the progam running after the initial install, but not since and nothing has changed apart from a reboot.

Edit: The error was coming up before I installed the latest MS patches which came out today, which also hasn't fixed the problem.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, re-downloaded, deleted the C:\Program Files\Common Files\MimarSinan\Installation Information\{FB5055E4-9BE1-425F-B40A-33E43E9460DA} folder, with various combinations of the above and all its giving me is grey hairs... and that damn error msg.

I was reading in one tread about an error with a 3 monitor setup, no real details were given, but could this be the cause eg open on 1 st monitor move to 2nd, play game - close?

Some info on my system:

Windows XP pro SP2 with latest patches.
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe mb using onboard sound in a 5.1 setup.
Gainward 6800GT GS vid card, outputing to a dual monitor setup.
Not overclocked.
Been scanned for viruses, trojans and malware - clean.
Running latest video and sound drivers and latest bios.

Any help would be most appreciated, because its a great game.
hkm

Postby Pappocom » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:49 pm

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer.

Does the error occur as soon as you try to launch the Sudoku program? If not, at what stage does it occur?

Have you tried switching Sudoku's sound off? (This question makes sense only if you can get the game started.) Press F4 to bring up the Game Options dialog, go to the "Cloaking" tab and clear the checkmark from the "Play Sounds" box. Does that make any difference?

Do you have any way of temporarily disabling SoundMax? If not, does Removing SoundMax (with a view to re-Installing it when this experiment is over) sound too radical a step? It would help determine whether the problem was a conflict with SoundMax.

There is a problem with multiple monitors, certainly, which has not yet been resolved. Could you try disconnecting your monitors in various combinations to see if you can isolate the occurrence of the problem?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby hkm » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:55 am

Pappocom wrote:Does the error occur as soon as you try to launch the Sudoku program? If not, at what stage does it occur?

The Welcome screen comes up - I press Start the evaluation version - The Warning screen comes up with number of days left - I press the Start evaluation version again - bang error msg.

Have you tried switching Sudoku's sound off? (This question makes sense only if you can get the game started.) Press F4 to bring up the Game Options dialog, go to the "Cloaking" tab and clear the checkmark from the "Play Sounds" box. Does that make any difference?

The game does not start.

Do you have any way of temporarily disabling SoundMax?

Yes have tried that.

If not, does Removing SoundMax (with a view to re-Installing it when this experiment is over) sound too radical a step? It would help determine whether the problem was a conflict with SoundMax.

I'am fine with doing that, however...

There is a problem with multiple monitors, certainly, which has not yet been resolved. Could you try disconnecting your monitors in various combinations to see if you can isolate the occurrence of the problem?

Ah that fixed it sort of..
ok, this is the problem I have then, I disabled one of my monitors, tried Sudoku - it worked - cool.

Shut down Sudoku with the veiw of restarting it with one monitor off - bang error msg...hmm.

Re-enabled 2nd monitor, tried Sudoku - error msg.
Disabled 2nd monitor again, tried Sudoku - it worked - cool.
This time I also switched the sound off in Sudoku.
Closed it, restarted - worked for a few times then I got the error msg again...bugger
Re-enabled 2nd monitor then disabled it - Sudoku works - that seems to be the tempory fix.

So to cut a very long story short, Soundmax doest seem to be the cause of the problem, the dual monitors do, as by disabling one monitor Sudoku will work, enable both, no joy.

All this time and it was a simple solution, just one I had not thought of trying, I have two days left on the evaluation so I'm off to play finally.
hkm

Return to Forum questions and feedback