a series of Sudoku book

Books about Sudoku

a series of Sudoku book

Postby arch99 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:35 pm

"A Sudoku a day keeps the doctor away" is a series of Sudoku book written by Arch Koch.

https://www.amazon.com/Arch-Koch/e/B06VXTLKW3

If you are a familiar with Sudoku, try to challenge Vol.3, the hard difficulty level Sudoku puzzles.
arch99

Re: a series of Sudoku book

Postby djshad » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 am

Why it is such expensive?
djshad

Postby enxio27 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 pm

djshad wrote:Why it is such expensive?

I doubt the OP is still here on the forums, considering he made this one post over three years ago and hasn't participated in the forum since. To answer your question, though:

1. Paperbacks are expensive to produce and ship

2. Too many people refuse to believe that the sudoku craze is long past, and that those of us who are still interested have access to literally millions of free puzzles, either through a solver/generator or on various Web sites still in existence. They fancy themselves the next great sudoku book author, believing that they will earn a living from publishing their sudoku books.
enxio27

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:41 pm

enxio27 wrote:... the sudoku craze is long past, and that those of us who are still interested have access to literally millions of free puzzles, either through a solver/generator or on various Web sites still in existence.

The peak is long past, it's true ... but there are still many Sudoku puzzle books and magazines in print. I even buy one myself from time to time.

There is still some attraction in literally P&P solving, obviously ....
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:57 pm

Mathimagics wrote:The peak is long past, it's true ... but there are still many Sudoku puzzle books and magazines in print. I even buy one myself from time to time.

Really? Why? (Honest question) What does a sudoku book have that you can't get here, or another Web site (there are still quite a few still in existence), or even with your own puzzle generator? I have to say that my experience with sudoku books hasn't been the best--too many invalid puzzles. In any case, I can't imagine that there are enough people still buying sudoku books to make publishing new ones worthwhile.

There is still some attraction in literally P&P solving, obviously ....

Of course! That's the only way I work sudoku puzzles, but I print them out myself.
enxio27

Postby Mathimagics » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:37 am

Mathimagics wrote:... but there are still many Sudoku puzzle books and magazines in print. I even buy one myself from time to time.

Hi, enxio27,

Oh dear, I seem to have disappointed you :(

Well, it's a simple matter of expedience. Firstly, I usually have so many computational challenges on the go, that I rarely have time for actually doing puzzles. When I do a puzzle, I prefer Kakuro, and these I do generate/print myself.

Sometimes, once in a while, I like to do a standard Sudoku, just to keep those neural synapses duly exercised. The magazines that I buy (at most 3 per year) are a cheap (15c per puzzle, pre-printed) and convenient source. And they are reliable, I've never come across an invalid puzzle, and their notion of "hard to super-hard" more or less corresponds to my personal "medium to hard" scale.

Cheers
MM
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Mathimagics wrote:Oh dear, I seem to have disappointed you :(

Not at all--just confused me. :D

Well, it's a simple matter of expedience. Firstly, I usually have so many computational challenges on the go, that I rarely have time for actually doing puzzles. When I do a puzzle, I prefer Kakuro, and these I do generate/print myself.

Sometimes, once in a while, I like to do a standard Sudoku, just to keep those neural synapses duly exercised. The magazines that I buy (at most 3 per year) are a cheap (15c per puzzle, pre-printed) and convenient source. And they are reliable, I've never come across an invalid puzzle, and their notion of "hard to super-hard" more or less corresponds to my personal "medium to hard" scale.

I guess if you are able to purchase a decent-quality sudoku magazine for such a small price per puzzle, it makes sense.
enxio27

Return to Books