A basketball riddle

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Basketball riddle

Postby Cec » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:49 am

udosuk wrote:Cec, you've shown that it is possible Shaquillina's FT% stands at .800 at one instance from the 6th to the 25th game. That's half the step you need to do for Q1. So congratulations.:)

I'm still a bit confused and that may not surprise some:) I've highlighted part of udosuk's above comments in italics. I've compared my above answer to Q1 a number of times and I still can't see why I haven't answered this question correctly.??? I'm not about to throw my mouse at the screen:) but just curious why this answer was not correct.

Cec
Cec

Re: A basketball riddle

Postby udosuk » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:21 am

Cec wrote:
udosuk wrote:Q1. Must there be a particular instance from the 6th game to the 25th game that her free throw percentage stands at exactly .800 (80%)?

For Q1. For the first five games assume Shaquillina "nets" 45 of her 50 throws which would be a 90% success rate. For the next five games assume Shaquillina "nets" 35 of 50 which means for the first ten games she would have "netted" 80 of her 100 throws which gives her an 80% success rate. As this is a particular instance from the 6th to the 25th game meaning it occured at the end of game 10 then is this a correct answer for Q1?

Okay Cec, this was the answer you gave for Q1. Technically speaking you haven't answer the question correctly... I was asking "Must there be..." instead of "Could there be..." so what the answerer is supposed to do is to prove that in all circumstances the event I described must happen... What you did was just describing a particular circumstance that the event happened, so you had just shown the possibility, not the "must"...

As an analogy, if I ask you "Must the AFL championship be won by a team from outside Victoria?", what is the correct answer? The fact that the last 5 championships were won by teams from outside Victoria only proved that "the AFL championship could be won by a team from outside Victoria", but you cannot say that it must happen every season from now on...:)

In fact, for Q1, ronk has posted the first correct answer by outlining 2 different circumstances that the event happened as well as not happened... Therefore it is possible but not a must...
udosuk

Re: A basketball riddle

Postby Cec » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 am

Thanks udosuk for your explanation which I now understand and can see why I didn't correctly answer the question - your analogy with the AFL was well thought out in explaining this situation.

Cec
Cec

Previous

Return to Coffee bar