24hr or am/pm settings?

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

24hr or am/pm settings?

Postby Crazy Girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:48 am

In the Sudoku Players Forum Index is it possible to change the Time setting to 24hr to show when the last post was made on a particular topic.

So here is a poll to see what this forum would like:?:
Crazy Girl

re: date-time format

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:is it possible to change the Time setting to 24hr

hi Crazy Girl

we each set our own profile!

for 24-hour time,
use this Date format:
Y.M.d D H:i

- Pat
Pat

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:24 am

I have got my profile in 24hr format, but what i was talking about was when one is not logged in, the time format is am/pm, so if you go to look at the Forum Index to see what recent posts there have been, then the time setting is am/pm.
Crazy Girl

re(2): Date format

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:I have got my profile in 24hr format,
but what i was talking about was when one is not logged in, the time format is am/pm, so if you go to look at the Forum Index to see what recent posts there have been, then the time setting is am/pm.
does make me seem rather silly!
well, thanks for getting that clear.

my date-format is
Y.M.d (D) H:i
- works well for me,
and i'd recommend it as default for new registrations.

but for the non-Login view,
i agree with you
and would recommend the simple
Y.m.d H:i

and now i may never again need to Login!
PM? i can provide e-mail and ignore PM.
Posting? exactly, this may help curb my itch-to-post!

thanks!
~ Pat
Pat

Re: 24hr or am/pm settings?

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:57 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:In the Sudoku Players Forum Index is it possible to change the Time setting to 24hr to show when the last post was made on a particular topic.

It could well be that I'm not following this at all but does it not tell you when you scroll through the topics when and by whom the last post was made on that particular section? Why does it need to be in 24 hour?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Wouldn't the geographic location of the postee come into this?

If we have a postee in a location 5 hours ahead of us in London,they could post a reply on

Thur Jan 19th,2006 3:00 am. We in London read it and reply on

Wed Jan 18th,2006 10:10 pm. 10 mins later.

As such I cannot see altering the time format will help. Or am I missing something (besides a few brain cells).

MCC
MCC

re(3): Date format

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:23 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:Why does it need to be in 24 hour?

hi lunababy_moonchild,

just try it once yourself - (temporarily) set your Profile to
Y.m.d H:i
- you'll see how much easier it is to spot the newest dates/times!

~ Pat
Pat

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:44 pm

The point of the OP was that alot of clocks / watches are 24hr and, some of us prefer 24hr clocks, so when you look at the index page in 24hr it is easy to see, in your timezone, which posts are before noon and which posts are afternoon, and therefore to distinguish the latest / newest posts.:)
Crazy Girl

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm sure that you are both right.

Being British (and somewhat numerically dyslexic) I am used to, and prefer, month day year 12-hour minutes seconds. Which is why I set my Profile to that. However, I don't use it that much and then only to find out when I last logged on.

I determine that a new post has arrived because of the orange symbol at the side of the topic, the time, for me, is an afterthought so having it in 24 hour probably won't make any difference.

I wonder, though, if this change should be suggested to those who run the website i.e phpbb, as opposed to Pappocom?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:I set my Profile to that. However, I don't use it that much and then only to find out when I last logged on.

I determine that a new post has arrived because of the orange symbol at the side of the topic

I find out when I last logged on top left of the index page *You last visited ...*

I find new posts directly over at top right *View Posts since last visit* - isn't that how everyone finds the newest dates and times?

I never mind what time anything was posted because you guys are always waaaay behind us downunder anyway!:D
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 pm

em wrote:I find out when I last logged on top left of the index page *You last visited ...*

OK, that's what I meant to type.

em wrote:I find new posts directly over at top right *View Posts since last visit* - isn't that how everyone finds the newest dates and times?

I usually use *View your Posts* (I think ....................):D

Luna *Focus, just need to focus ..........*
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Crazy Girl » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 am

If one only has five/ten minutes to spare, so doesn't log in but looks at the index page to see any recent posts of interest to read, then it is easier to have the time in 24hr, but when one has alot of time to spare one can log in and have their own preferences.

We all have our own way of doing things otherwise we wouldn't be human:!:
Crazy Girl

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:28 am

Crazy Girl wrote:If one only has five/ten minutes to spare, so doesn't log in but looks at the index page to see any recent posts of interest to read, then it is easier to have the time in 24hr, but when one has alot of time to spare one can log in and have their own preferences.

We all have our own way of doing things otherwise we wouldn't be human:!:

Fair enough. It wasn't clear - to me, anyway - that that was the case. Then again a lot of things have remained unclear to me just recently:D

Luna *Humour is difficult to get across in print. When in doubt choose laughter*
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Forum questions and feedback