2014 World Cup Brazil

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

2014 World Cup Brazil

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:46 am

Is it too early to look at 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? Oh, hell no.

The big draw is coming up this Friday, December 6, 2013. The final groups will be determined, fates will revealed and for some, sealed. The Final Draw will take place in Bahia, Brazil at 1:00 local, and hundreds of millions world-wide will be watching.

The qualifying tournament is over and the field is impressive. Now the real build-up begins, let's get ready, here we go again.
Luke
2015 Supporter

Re: 2014 World Cup Brazil

Postby Luke » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm

The results from yesterday:

Code: Select all
Full 2014 World Cup draw

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy.

Group E : Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Iran, Nigeria.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea.

If you favor USA, England or Australia, it's tough nails. Group D is among the strongest and Groups B and G are being described by many as the "Groups of Death."

For perspective, before yesterday the Yanks were 60-1 longshots to win The Cup. After the draw, it shot up to 150-1!
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Here we go , people! Who's fired up for for The World Cup? The Bay Area soccer community is definitely stoked. Our local boy Chris Wondolowski made the USA final 23 and will likely get minutes as a second half substitute.

With Players' being an international board, I'm very interested in everyone's perspective! After the US, I do have a soft spot in my heart for Italy. I know a many German and Spanish backers from around here in NoCal, but this community has a lot of passion for Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, and Honduras.

This Cup will be marked by social issues and there'll be action in the streets as well as the terraces. As for a prediction: I'll cop out and say only that it will be a South American side that takes it.

Let's get ready to rumble!
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby DonM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey Luke, the real excitement during your posts was watching my LA Kings win the Stanley Cup series. :)
DonM
2013 Supporter

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:02 am

Now you're just stretching my gristle, Murray. Nonetheless, a begrudging nod to your boys. It was disgusting to watch the Sharks blow a 3-0 series advantage, that just don't happen. Too bad the Stanley Cup Finals ratings are getting blown out of the water by a game Americans are supposed to hate...soccer.

World Cup play has been largely quite excellent, with a changing-of-the-guard flavor about it. The "Groups of Death" have been tough for England, Spain, and Italy, contrary to expectations. I've been impressed by France, Costa Rica, the Oranje, Columbia and even Mexico. CONCACAF (North and Central America/Caribbean) has not embarrassed itself for the most part. My early pick Uruguay sorely missed Suarez in the first match (I'm a Kopite, remember..)

Tomorrow is a huge day for the US team v Portugal and Ronaldo, and the level of soccer interest and knowledge is at an all time high around here. The bars are all packed, the viewing parties in parks and town squares are everywhere, US v Ghana TV ratings rivaled that of the NBA final game, and it's no exaggeration to say there's a corner being turned in America these days. This won't change in the least if the US does not make it out of group stage, but if they do, all the better. Unlike some of my fellow hardcore ultra supporters, I welcome the bandwagoners and see this country on the cusp of a breakthrough.

To our English brothers, tough going, but part of me was with you. England could just as easily won both their first two matches. At least Rooney finally got off the schneid, but too little too late.

~ Luke
Luke
2015 Supporter

Return to Coffee bar