Yet another Excel Solver, also 16x16 games

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Yet another Excel Solver, also 16x16 games

Postby RStrebel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Hi,

I have written a very simple and stupid Excel macro for solving. Watch the solution being found step by step. VBA code available. Since I don't have my own web page, please e-mail me at rog.strebel@bluewin.ch to get the file. A new version of this simple program also works on 16x16 games.

Cheers

Roger
Last edited by RStrebel on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RStrebel

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:34 am

check your mail, i want to see this
:?:

Postby Pi » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:33 pm

I have an excel solver but wondered if there is a way of converting it to run independently, something like this

Type the grid into an independent program
The program enters the puzzle into excel
Excel solves it
The program collects the ouput and displays it for the user

Is this possilbe?
Pi

Postby RStrebel » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:58 pm

Hello PI,

I don't know what exactly you think about. But from VB it is sure possible. From VB you can remote command Excel just like you do from the macro, but the program you write can be stand-alone. If you do this, you could as well include your Excel macro into that VB project. On the other hand, doesn't Excel provide a good enough user interface? Otherwise unfortunately I don't know much about inter-application protocols such as OLE etc. Java people usually know a lot about this.

Rog
RStrebel

Postby Pi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:09 pm

I was reading about macros today actually.
Would you recomend i buy a copy of Visual Basic?
Pi

Visual Basic

Postby RStrebel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:56 pm

Unfortunately I am not familiar with current versions of VB or C# and .NET, which is what you actually pay for buying VB. Personally I would put this all into the Macros VBA code. If you know lots of people who have Microsoft OS but no Office, VBA or whatever development tool is a must for developping something that runs without Office. Consider Java, which is completely portable (but I guess you will find more competent people on this in this forum).

Rog
RStrebel

Return to Software