Xsudo

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Xsudo

Postby pjb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 pm

I got a surprise when I tried to download Xsudo from SudokuOne.com (xinstall 203m.exe). Norton intervened and deleted it, saying that it contained the WS.Reputation.1 file. Is Norton overreacting, or is the installation file truly infected and hazardous?

pjb
pjb
2014 Supporter

Re: Xsudo

Postby ronk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm

pjb wrote:I got a surprise when I tried to download Xsudo from SudokuOne.com (xinstall 203m.exe). Norton intervened and deleted it, saying that it contained the WS.Reputation.1 file. Is Norton overreacting, or is the installation file truly infected and hazardous?

IIRC the same thing happened to me about 14 months ago when installing software on my new computer. Having already used XSudo for many months, I went ahead and installed it anyway.

Norton uses a bit of "guilty until proven innocent" policy. As I understand it, WS.Reputation.1 is a Norton file, not a file within XSudo, that contains reputational info about software. New software and software with "less than 5 users within the Norton community", however that is determined, is treated suspiciously.

But you need to make your own decision, so I recommend googling that file name and doing a bit of reading.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Return to Software