World Sudoku Championships in March

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

World Sudoku Championships in March

Postby Pappocom » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:26 am

The World Sudoku Championships will be held in Lucca, Italy, on March 10 and 11, 2006.

For more details, please see the WSC1 site.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby tarek » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:37 am

Apparantly, participation is free (because it came on a short notice:D ).

I've been to Lucca in 1995. I think it has the largest number of curches in the world per unit of area.
tarek

Postby Moschopulus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Wayne,

are you involved in that tournament?
Moschopulus

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:14 pm

I'm not organising it. It's being run under the auspices of the World Puzzle Federation, which is responsible for the respected annual World Puzzle Championship. Sudoku is so popular I think they figure it deserves a Championship of its own.

But I am planning to be present at the event. Probably not as a solver, but more in the role of honoured guest, prize presenter, etc.. It should be a good show.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Pi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Can you tell me how it is possible to qualify for his competition, or do you just turn up?
Pi

Postby Pappocom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 am

I don't know. Would you mind contacting them at their site, and posting the results here?

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby MCC » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:04 pm

I've had a quick look at the site and it looks like you have to be a member of the World Puzzle Federation, to join WPF costs 250 Euros a year.
MCC

Postby Pi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:13 pm

I have contacted them and am aw\iting a reply, they seem to have competitions in sudoku variants including sum doku,diagonal sudou and more. I will post anything else i find
Pi

re: WPF membership

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:46 am

MCC wrote:it looks like you have to be a member of the World Puzzle Federation

to join WPF costs 250 Euros a year.

a Member of the WPF
is an official body
representing a Country:
The World Puzzle Federation is an association of legal bodies.
(Each country can be represented by one legal body only.)

~ Pat
Pat

USA participation in World Sudoku Championship

Postby nickbaxter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:10 pm

Participation in the World Sudoku Championship must be coordinated though your country's WPF member organization. (If your country is not represented in the WPF, then you should contact the championship organizers directly.) The WPF membership fee mentioned earlier is for the member bodies, not individuals.

If you are a US citizen and intersted in participating, please visit the US Puzzle Team web site, at http://wpc.puzzles.com. You should download the sample puzzles, time yourself solving them, then include your times with your registration. For these puzzles, you are on your honor.

Unfortunately time is short; if you are at all interested you should do this as soon as possible. The WSC is March 10-11 in Lucca, Italy.

Participation is free, but you will likely have to pay for your own travel expenses. (Yes, that'll keep things honest!)

Regards,
Nick Baxter
Captain, US Puzzle Team
nickbaxter

re: "World Sudoku Championship"

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:31 am

so, the WPF calls it World Sudoku Championship
but it seems more like a tournament of SuDoku-variants
e.g.~ Pat
Pat

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:23 pm

If anyone from this forum is going to this Championship, could you post the puzzles you had to complete?

Thanks in Advance:)
Crazy Girl

Postby sudokuNick » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:44 am

Pappocom wrote:I'm not organising it. It's being run under the auspices of the World Puzzle Federation, which is responsible for the respected annual World Puzzle Championship. Sudoku is so popular I think they figure it deserves a Championship of its own.

But I am planning to be present at the event. Probably not as a solver, but more in the role of honoured guest, prize presenter, etc.. It should be a good show.

- Wayne

Wayne, are you still planning on attending?

sudokushop.com is providing the BBC with a radio interview on this topic shortly. If anyone is planning on going to the event, I would be very interested in further details.
sudokuNick

Postby Pappocom » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:58 am

I'll be there. I'm in Rome as I write this, on my way to Lucca (by a very indirect route!)

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby sudokuNick » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Pappocom wrote:I'll be there. I'm in Rome as I write this, on my way to Lucca (by a very indirect route!)

- Wayne

Great! I take it you don't mind if we mention you're going to be there in our interview?

Also, could you provide me with any details on the format and number of competitors or prizes? We've checked the web site but it seems low on detail.
sudokuNick

Next

Return to General